From Dr. Edward McLysaght Analecta Hibernia, No. 14, 1944, Transcriptions, Conor Papers, Manch, Kinsale Corporation from 1594.
The Hedges were intermarried with the Eyres and Whites of Bantry. Somewhere along the line they married O’Sullivans reputedly of the O’Sullivan Bere line.
The Hollow Blade Company were a group of London Merchant using a shell company to finance the wars of the Parliament of England agains the King of England. They were partly repaid in Irish land Bonds of the confiscated estates in west cork of O’Sullivan, Mccarthy, adn O’Leary.
The Hollow Sword Blades Company was set up in England in 1691 to make sword blades. In 1703 the company purchased some of the Irish estates forfeited under the Williamite settlement in counties Mayo, Sligo, Galway, and Roscommon. They also bought the forfeited estates of the Earl of Clancarty in counties Cork and Kerry and of Sir Patrick Trant in counties Kerry, Limerick, Kildare, Dublin, King and Queen’s counties (Offaly and Laois). Further lands in counties Limerick, Tipperary, Cork and other counties, formerly the estate of James II were also purchased, also part of the estate of Lord Cahir in county Tipperary. In June 1703 the company bought a large estate in county Cork, confiscated from a number of attainted persons and other lands in counties Waterford and Clare. However within about 10 years the company had sold most of its Irish estates.
The Bank of England charter was due to expire in 1710, and they were concerned to arrange its renewal. Others, however, continued to lobby parliament not to do so, and a new syndicate had formed, offering to take on funding of the latest loan required by government. The Bank responded by dropping its interest rate to underbid the competition, and succeeded in renewing its charter until 1732, with more strictly drawn terms to prevent others operating as banks.
Further complications faced the Sword Blade company, as title to land in Ireland began to be disputed by relatives of dispossessed Jacobites and others claiming to have bought from the initial beneficiaries of the first cancelled land distribution. The matter was settled by an act of parliament in 1708 setting a time limit on further claims, but by then the company stock had fallen to £55 per nominal £100 issued. As some consolation, pressure was also mounting on the Bank of England from an increasingly distressed government seeking new ways to raise money.
Sometime in the early 18th century the company imploded adn their land bank was sold at knock down prices. This formed the basis of a number of estates including that of the Bernards of Bandon (later Earl of Bandon).
McCarthys of Muskerry. In 1786 Wilson describes Blarney as the “very fine seat, with ample and beautiful demesnes, of Mr. Jeffreys”. Lewis wrote in 1837 that Blarney Castle was purchased in 1701 by Sir James Jefferyes, Governor of Cork [from the Hollow Sword Blades Company] ..
Richard Hedges, 1706. Macroom. Appointed receiver of rents 1706 for Co. Cork and Kerry, Hollow Sword Blade Company London, bond for £4,000 posted by William Hedges, London. overseer Macroom Bridge 1708 paid £80 for works. 1712 Execution granted to Ann Nettles executrix of Robert Nettles by Richard Browne and Richard Hedges against Popish inhabitants Godfrye and Keadgh Leary (probable ancestor of outlaw and Captain Hungarian Hussars, Art Ó Laoighre) for £160.
Robert Hedges, 1794, Mount Hedges. Member Hanover Association meeting Cork 1791 re Whiteboys.
Hon. H. White Hedge (may be Hedge White) The Castle Macroom. Deputy Lieutenant 1832. Supporting Alexander O’Driscoll, J.P. suspended, Bandon 1841.