Petty’s Down Survey 1655-58
For Church history
Some marriages from 1823
Some births from 1798
A history of Caheragh Parish was done some time ago by a native of the parish Donal J. O’Sullivan and has recently been re-issued.
To search old Caheragh Graveyard click
Tithe Aplottments Caheragh 1827, by Susan Beretta
Maziere Brady on the Parish
Caheragh from Maziere Brady
December 28. Geoffrey Fitz John de Cogan is presented by the King (by mandate to the Bishop of Cork), to the church of the Blessed Mary de Catheragh, in the King’s gift, by reason of his wardship of the lands and heir of John de Cogan (Tuckey’s Cork Remembrancer p.18)
R. de Caheaughe spectat as College, Youghell. (MS. T.C.D. E.3.14)
Tadeus McDonnell O’Sullivan is vicar. “Cathragh: Rectoria spectat as Coll. de Youghall. Vicarius Tadeus McDonnell O’Sullivan, minister legens. Val.8 li. Cancella repata ex parte vicarii, ruinosa ex parte rectoris’ (R.V. 1615) O’Sullivan was also vicar of Durrus, q.v.
April 12, Antonius Risdon, Vic de Caragh. (FF) In 1623 he became V. Carrigaline, q.v.
September . Thomas Way, V. de Caragh inducted 8th October, 1623 (R.V. 1634)
R. de Caragh spect ad. Coll de Youghall. Val £13 13s 4d per an. Vicarius Thomas wey. Val £13 13s 4 d (R.V. 1634)
In 1639 Edward Clare appears as rector with Thomas Wey as Curate of Caheragh. ‘Ecclia bene, desunt ornamenta” (V.B.1639) Wey was also V.Schull q.v.
1640 May 15. Edward Clare received letters patent for another living. He was probably the same Edward Clare, who was of Killinean, County Carlow and who married Susan daughter of Thomas Munday, Porter of His Majesty’s Castle of Dublin Esq. This Edward was the second son of Robert Clare, of Dublin by Joan dau. of Edward Searle, of Abstain Hal, Herts. England. (U.G.)
1662. April 5 Michael Delaune, Clericus, R. de Caheragh, stu[endi gratia (V.B.D.R.1669). From 1666 to 1670 Michael de Laune appears as Rector “studenti gratia” (V.B.)
On the 15th November 1672 Michael Delaune receives a patent to R.V.Caheragh, dioc. Cork (Lib.Mun).
Michael Delaune (born in London son of Henry Delaune, “Chiliarchae” and afterwards Gurtmore, County Cork, by his wife a daughter of Richard Boyle, was educated in Kinsale under Dean Boyle, and, when twenty years old became a Sociorum commensalis T.C.D. on 6th May, 1660. He was ordained a priest on the 20th December 1668, and was i that year made Precentor of Ferns and Rector of Enniscorthy. In 1670 he was also Archdeacon of Dublin, having resigned Caheragh. He held his Archdeaconry, and the Precentorship, with Enniscorthy until his death, on the 3rd November, 1675. He was buried in St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin. He mentions in his will his elder brother, Richard of Charleville county Cork, and another brother Gideon. (U.O.
1670 November 25 Nicholas Bolton, R. Caheragh and R.V.Tullagh, R. Kilsillagh, V. Aughadowne, Cleere, and Donoghmore, in Ross. (F.F.) In 1674 he became also Chancellor of Ross, q.v. he appears 1671 to 1882 (V.B. D.R.)
1683 September 6 John Patrickson, a.m. R.Caheragh, per mort. Bolton (D.R.) : in Anglia et sub censura’ (V.B.1692)
1695. December 23. Johes Patrickson, a.m. adm. as R. Cageragh per nupras calamitates forsan vacant, necnon V. Kinneigh vacant. per cess. Andeeae Symms, et V.Fonlobish per cessionem Johis Fortune (D.R.) Patrickson was also Precentor of Cloyne q.v.
No church three Protestant families go to Drumdaleige (V.B. 1699 D.D.)
1718. November 6 Mr. Samuel Brome appears as R.Caheragh, Mr Patrickson’s name being crossed out. (V.B.) Brome was, in 1731, Chancellor of Cork q.v.
1720 Michael Philpot appears as R. Caheragh. (V.B. D.R.) and on 17th January, 1727, he is again collated, receiving in addition the P.Dromdaleague. (D.R.)
From 1727 to 1818 Caheragh was held with P. Dromdaleague q.v.
1818 May 13. Richard Francis Webb, a.b., R. Caheragh, vacant by resignation of Richard webb. Certified under £300 per an. (D.R.) R.F.Webb became, in 1853, R.Dunderrow, q.v.
1825, The Bishop grants a licence to Webb for three years non-residence, there being no glebe in the parish. (D.R.)
1830. Protestant population 131.
1837. Caheragh, a rectory, with cure, 10 miles long by 8 broad, containing 16,521 acres. Gross population 6,999. On ecutate employed, at a stipend of £75 per annum. Tithe composition £650. Subject to valuation fees, 9s; diocesan schoolmaster, 18s. No glebe house. Incumbent is resident and considers £45 a year a reasonable sum to be allowed for house rent. One Church, capable of containing 160 persons built in 1820 (referred to at Easter 1830 (Ch.Ex.)) at the cost of £650, British, granted as gift by the late Board of First Fruits. No charge on the parish in 1832 on account of the church. Divine service is celebrated once on all Sundays, and on Christmas Day, Good Friday, and on the usual feast and fasts. The Sacrament monthly and at the festivals. Average of communicants, 14. The children are catechised on Sundays. Evening service is held during the months of the summer; 20 children attend a Church Education school. The Protestant population is 107. The rent charge amounts to £487.10s
J.S.Reeves is descended from Robert Reve, of Sussex, who came to Ireland temp. Charles 1. Vide Burke’s L G.–article. Reeves of Vesterburg. The Rev Reeves is son of Thomas Somerville Reeves, esq., by Rebecca, dau of Isaac Morgan, esq., of Cork. He was ordained in