According to Burke, the first Francis Bernard settled in Ireland around the time of Elizabeth I. In 1703 Francis Bernard purchased parts of the Earl of Clancarty estate in the barony of Muskerry, including Ballytrasna. A descendent, also Francis Bernard, was created Viscount Bernard and Earl of Bandon in 1800. The Earl of Bandon’s estate in county Cork amounted to almost 41,000 acres in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the estate was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Skull, barony of West Carbery, Ballinadee, Ballymoney, Desertserges, Kilmaloda, Kinneigh, barony of East Carbery, Ardfield, Castleventry, Kilkerranmore, Kilmeen, Lislee and Ross, barony of Ibane and Barryroe, Liscarroll and Buttevant, barony of Orrery, Kilmore, Knockavilly, barony of Kinalea, Athnowen, barony of East Muskerry, Caherlag, Carrigtohill, barony of Barrymore and Ballymodan, barony of Kinalmeaky. A Colonel Bernard, resident in India, was the owner of over 900 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. The Waterford estate derives from Anne Bernard, who married Robert Foulkes of Youghal in the eighteenth century but bequeathed her estate to her nephew, Stephen Bernard. Sadleir, referring to the 1770s, mentions “Barnard of Prospect Hall, lives mostly in London” and notes that Stephen Bernard was MP for Bandon, 1727-1757.The newspaper account differ in the colour and number of the horses at the funeral
Like the nearby Devonshire Estate the Bernard/Bandon Estate seems to have tested the tenant relatively well. Unlike Viscount Berehaven of Bantry and his O’Sullivan cronies on Beara such as Patrick O’Sullivan, Esq, Millcove, or Patrick O’Sullivan, Esq., Carriganass, Kealkil. Most Protestant Landlords treated their tenant better then the Catholic O’Sullivans
The Bernards/Earls of Bandon were largely resident even though they hd a London house. The were active in promoting local railway and agricultural development. The had an extreme form of Protestantism active in funding proselytising such s that of the Rev. Fisher in Toormore and others.
Around 1810 the central estate at Castlmahon employed 200 had its own schools dn the Estate pid pensions.
There was an annual dinner for the more substantial tenants in Bandon this was a sober severe affair.
The Bernard Kerry Estate in contrast a completely different type of celebration for the mostly Catholic large tenants. Drink flowed, plenty of Irish music fiddlers, uileean pipe players.
On both the Devonshire and Bandon Estate contrary to common perception there were quite a number of substantial Catholic tenants such as the Crowleys of Ballyourane in Caheragh one of the largest tenant farmers in West Cork.
Right Honourable Francis Bernard, 3rd Earl of Bandon, Eton, M.A., D.C.L, Oxford (1817-1877), Castlebernard, son Francis 2nd Earl of Bandon (1755-1830) and Mary Susan Albina Brodrick. MP Bandon 1831. Chairing Famine Relief Meeting Dunmanway 1846. 1857 member Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society. Member Irish Society Antiquaries 1861. Colonel Royal Cork Artillery Militia. Subscriber 1861 Rev. Gibson’s History of Cork. Promoter flax growing West Cork 1850s. Promoting mineral development in West Cork including barytes mines on his Dereenlomane property, Ballydehob. 1870 appointed Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotorum of Cork County. His obituary noted that despite his extreme political religious views he was allegedly held in high esteem by all classes. Frequently sitting in Bandon Petty Session Court which adjourned for a week on his death. His funeral to family crypt Ballymodan attended by Royal Cork Artillery Militia, South Cork Infantry Militia. West Cork Militia. Probate 1877, executor James Francis Bernard, 4th Earl £18,000
Castle Bernard, built on site of O’Mahony Castle, Burned by IRA During the Troubles:
Among the mourners listed are Wheeler Dohertys. Land Agents and solicitor. By advancing mortgages to the Bernards they ended up de facto owning a large part of the estate in the late. Genealogically the Doherty are part of th Northern Uí Neill and descend from Niall of The Nine Hostages.
Around 1971 Cork County Librarian, Paddy Madden acquired their papers which are now the Bandon Estate Collection in the Cork Archives
1871 Western Tenantry Entertained by Lord Bandon on coming of age of Lord Bernard, at Durrus Court (Gearhameen). Dinner provided by James Philips of Durrus and Mrs. Fitzgerald, Cork. 1871, Meeting Courthouse, Durrus, Patrick’s Day re Alarming Spread of Smallpox
Right. Hon. James Francis 4th Earl of Bandon (1850-1924), (see also Bernard) K.P., 1871, Castlebernard, Bandon. Registered Vestryman of Christ Church, Kilmeen, 1870. 1903, Sale. Lord Bandon gives notice of his intention to sell his estates in Co Cork – extensive holdings with some 15,000 tenants. Chairman Irish Landowners Association 1910 Listed 1913, listed 1922. 1888. Landlords, Lord Bandon, Duke of Devonshire, Lord Bandon owns 40,941 acres in Co Cork, Duke of Devonshire has 32,550 acres. Two of the three largest landowners in the Co.. Grand Secretary Freemasons from 1875 – 1895 and Provincial Grand Master of Munster. Married Georgina Dorothy Evans Freke d 7th Lord Carbery and wife Harriet Shouldham, the Dunmanway Shouldhams are descended in the female line from a McCarthy heiress who converted. Castlemahon burned by IRA and kidnapped 1921
Funeral Right Honourable James Earl of Bandon 1856.