The Crowley and Dalys, Clients of McCarthys. Bantry Dealys/Dalys Possibly from East Galway. Dalys (Rhymers to McCarthys and O’Mahonys) to Dromnea Kilcrohane, under McCarthys held 36 Plouglands, Crowleys Sept of McDemotts, Roscommon later McCarthys, to Ballyounane, Caheragh.
The starting point:
Old Caheragh Church and Caheragh Poets in Irish, Na Baróidigh, (Seán, Seámus, Riocárd) Lissane, Donnacha, Muiris and Paul Ó h-Anngáin, Donnacha Ó Briain, Diarmuid Ó Crualaoich (Crowley), Mícheál Óg Ó Longáin (lived later Glanmire), Church Bell Provided by Patrick Rocky Mountain O’Brien of Dromore. The old church was built by Fr. Dore, one of a number of Tipperary Priests seconded to the Dioceses of Cork. Father Dore appears as an elector for O’Connell/Roche in the 1841 election. It is believed that the church was built with stones from Ballyourane Castle formerly a McCarthy castle.
The Crowleys are a sub Sept of the McDermotts of Roscommon. DNA from the extended Crowley family of Balllyourane, Caheragh confirms links to families with names common in East Galway, Roscommon, Sligo and Mayo. Some time aground 1200 probably a relatively small number migrated to West Cork reputed mercenaries. They intermarried and increased and multiplied. The core Crowley area, according to names density is between Dunmanway and Bandon. The Caheragh branch is at the western extremity and the location of the old Mccarthy Castle in Balluourane, suggests they were clients of the McCarthys. The size of the Ballyourane holding, which in Lord Bandon tenure post 1710 one of the largest in the Baronies of Carbery would suggest an important branch.
‘Dr’ James and his brother Jerry Crowley were apothecaries (pharmacists) and did minor medical matters and were know as Doctors are likely of this line. James c 1805 married Rachel Evans of Lissangle, Caheragh. This is likely the same line as those of Ardagh, Aughadown. Her sister married one of the Haddens who probably originated in Wexford. Another sister married a McCarthy, another apothecary in Skibbereen. The Skibbereen Hadden line were Methodists, apothecaries later Doctors and surgeons in Ireland, UK and Australia. Dr. Jerry was the founder of The Phoenix Society and swore O’Donovan Rossa in as a member.
It is likely that the maverick priest Fr. Jeremiah Crowley was of the line. He was active as a curate in the Schull area in the 1880s was prosecuted for criminal defamation at the suit of a Protestant Minister and jailed. He was a folk hero. On his return from Cork Jail he had a frosty relationship with his Parish Priest. He left for the USA and became a Bible Banging Preacher denouncing the evils of the Church of Rome in the 1910s.
The Ballyourane Crowleys are linked by DNA to the Bechers, Jervois, Evans, Hull and Cox families as well as the Gosnells, Youngs, Williamsons some of those likely of Armagh weaving background. This would suggest Protestant maternal ancestors pre 1800.
Around 1850 the Durrus Estates formerly owned by the McCarthys returned to the control of Lord Bandon after the Evanson lease expired. Lord Bandon’s agents settled a number of families from other parts of the Western Bandon Estates in farms becoming vacant. The Western Bandon Estate was assembled by purchase early 1700s by Francis Berard of Bandon a successful Dublin Lawyer. It contains at the Western end clusters of isolated townlands widely geographically dispersed. One of the new tenants were a branch of the Ballyourane Crowleys, O’Mahonys from Ballyourane or Carrigmanus and a branch of the Dalys of Drumnea of Kilcrohane. These were significant moves as the lands were formerly rented to Protestant families. There are suggestions that each of these families had some kind of relationship with the Bandon Estate or were of senior lineage within their families in former times. Due to lack of documentary knowledge this is speculative.
Deaths Caheragh, probates indicate affluence:
|1679||Owen Carthy||Ballisrane or Balliorane (Ballinorane)||Cork and Ross Wills 1584-1800|
|1693||Teige Mahony||Caheragh||Gent||Dr. Casey, Vol 6.|
|1693||Teige Crowly||Caheragh||Farmer||Dr. Casey Vol 6 1185|
The family were enticed to Kilcrohane c 1300 by the McCarthys and awarded 36 ploughlands at a nominal rent. The family ran the Bardic school at Dromnea. All was lost after 1641. However Donagh Daly a Gentleman appears in a Becher deed 1708. The was a Daly family late 18th early 19th century at Altar on the Mizen peninsula. They were Protestant as were quite a number. This family had the largest grave in Altar Churchyard and memorials in the Church. A son in the 1840 went to Cambridge, became a Minister in the Church of England and died young. These Dalys may have been middlemen under the Bechers. In 1820 a Daly ran a school at Sea Lodge in Durrus unusually this was under the patronage of Nathaniel Evanson. He may have been of the Dromnea line.
I am indebted to Michael Daley for pointing out that there is a confirmed genetic link between the Junior Kilcrohane Daly branch and (1) Daly family who document Bandon as the geographical origin of their late 18th and early 19th century ancestors.
On the Kilcrohane Dalys, at this time, we accept the long held, documented view that the Dalys of Kilcrohane constitute an independent adoption of the Daly surname. The up-to-date gathered evidence on this line of inquiry within the current Daly Surname Study supports this view.
From Michael Daley. The Finnyvara, Clare & East Galway Dalys share the same Y-DNA signature and we posit these Dalys were an original Teffia/Tethba branch of the Southern Ui Neill. They did have a split in the early 18th century in which the Dunsandle branch assimilated the Established Church and disassociated with their Gaelic culture to maintain their land holdings. And, indeed the Dalys who governed New Brunswick (Malachy Bowes Daly and others) were of this specific Dunsandle branch. In fact, anecdotally, they are responsible for the reference to the Miramichi River in NB as the local Shannon River, deep within the oral history of the area.
And, it is somewhat accepted without examination that the Dealy Brig of Bantry would have been these Galway Dalys, but it is historically and genetically uncertain. It is fact that they adopted the DEALY variation in pronunciation and English orthography while operating their line of work in the Bantry area. But, this was entertained ONLY to distinguish their family origins from the local Dalys, not their allegiances. So, they very well could have been Gaelic preserving and Catholic cousins of the Dunsandle Dalys of the fishery industry made aware of the human social/business need to be provided. Regardless, it is known, the Dealy Brig transported West Cork Irish to New Brunswick, including Dalys, and all of these transportees/famine emigrants from Cork highly unlikely to author the Miramichi/Shannon comparison.