James Francis Bernard, 4th Earl of Bandon, KP (12 September 1850 – 18 May 1924), McCarthy Ancestry of Wife.
James Francis (heir) KP born 12th September 1850 and died 18th May 1924 (heir and 4th Earl) m 22nd June 1876 Hon Georgiana Evans-Freke, daughter and heiress of George Patrick Percy Evans Freke, 7th Lord Carbery by his wife Harriet Maria Catharine Shuldham, McCarthy Descendant.
The Dunmanway Shouldham are McCarthy on the maternal side from marriage of Miss Anstace McCarthy to Shouldham. She probably appears in the Convert Rolls:
|Anstace Shuldham, possibly nee McCarthy||1737||Spinster, Co. Cork||The Shouldham Estate in Dunmanway West Cork comprised over 10,000 and arises from the marriage of Shouldham, Solicitor General from Kerry/Limerick to a McCarthy heiress in Dunmanway in the early 1700s. This lady may be her or her daughter.||In August 1766 800 or 900 acres at Gleanarough were advertised during the minority of Master Shuldam aged 7 apply Dr Creagh or James Galway Tullyglass, Enniskeane||DEscendant married 7th Lord carbery their daughter married James Francis Bernard 4th Earl of Bandon|
Courtesy Bandon Genealogy:
FRANCIS (3rd EARL of BANDON) and CATHERINE(Whitmore) had 7 children:
(1) Emma Harriet baptised 26th October 1844 (unmarried) died 18th October 1929 in London
(2) Louisa Albinia, baptised Paddington, London on 10th April 1841 and died 25th September 1928 London (unmarried),
(3) James Francis (heir) KP born 12th September 1850 and died 18th May 1924 (heir and 4th Earl) m 22nd June 1876 Hon Georgiana Evans-Freke, daughter and heiress of George Patrick Percy Evans Freke, 7th Lord Carbery by his wife Harriet Maria Catharine Shuldham. Georgiana was born on 3rd November 1853 and died on 29th June 1942 and had no issue,
(4) Adelaide Mary Lucy (baptised 2nd Sep 1846 and died 29th Sept 1884 married as his first wife on 11th November 1873 Sir Henry Monson de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 3rd Baronet of Bagnall, Co Waterford, son and heir of Henry William de la Poer Beresford-Peirse Esq of Bedale and Hutton Bonville, Yorks by his wife Henrietta Anne Theodosia Monson. Sir Henry was born on 25th September 1850 and died on 8th July 1926. They left issue: Major Henry Bernard de la Poer Beresford Peirse (b 9th Jan 1875 d 14th May 1949) and Rev Richard Windham de la Poer Beresford Peirse (b 6th Aug 1876 d 13th March 1952 m (1) 21 July 1910 Lillian Katherine Campbell and had (a) Francis Campbell Beresford Peirse b 26 April 1911 m Kathleen Lillian Edgcumbe and had Jeremy b 7th Sept 1937 d 16 Feb 1940 and two other children, (b) Sybil Adelaide b 1912 (c) James b 11th Feb 1914 d 12 Feb 1914 (d) Barbara b 1915 m Barry Martin Baker and had two children (e) another who married Godfrey Mapplebeckk and (2) 4th Sept 1924 Katherine Mabel Helen York Scarlett).
(5) Mary Catherine Henrietta born 2nd Aug 1837 Paddington, London and died 10th Jan 1920 m 30th July 1863 Colonel Richard William Aldworth, of Newmarket, High Sheriff of Co Cork, JP, DL 7th Royal Fusiliers who was born on 31st January 1825 – no issue
(6) Charlotte Esther Emily born 5th April 1843 Kensington, London and died 13th July 1934 Westminster, London,
(7) Kathleen Frances born 14th November 1853 Bandon and died 22nd February 1921 Chelsea, London m 2nd June 1885 Alfred William George Gaussen. of 3 Walpole Street, Chelsea, London, 25th Regiment, RA, son and heir of Frederick Charles Gaussen, barrister at law, by his wife Letitia Maria Chapman. Alfred was born in 1855 and died on 6th April 1910, 25th regiment Royal Artillery. Had Mary Frances L Gaussen born London born 13th June 1886 London and died June 1969 in Westminster, London
JAMES ( 4th EARL of BANDON) and GEORGIANA (Evans Freke) had no issue
The title passed to a cousin. James, 4th Earl was an only son so the grandson of his father, Francis’s brother, Rev Charles Brodrick Bernard who married Jane Grace Evans Freke inherited Castle Bernard. (Both his father’s brother, Rev Charles Brodrick and the son of Charles, Percy had died before the death of James, hence his grandson inherited the title). Rev Charles had Percy Brodrick Bernard, born 17th September 1844 and died 18th July 1912. Percy married (1) Isabel Emma Lane on 11th April 1872 (2) Mary Lissey Kirwan on 6th February 1880 and (3) Evangeline Hoare on 2nd June 1900.