West Cork History

Timothy O’Donovan JP to Dr. John O’Donovan on The Real Irish Greyhound not the wolf dog called the …..‘Guire Mac Fhira’ the Irish Grey Hound is called ‘Conn’ and was spelled Gre-hound, this breed is quite smooth silk like satin it is a mistake to confuse the rough or wiry dog being of Scotch descent and never could compete with the real Irish in Fleetship or Beauty, Richard Hungerford Evanson, Coursing at Dromreagh in the 1864.

The O’Donovans were clearly into dogs, his brother Doctor Richard placed an ad in a newspaper in the 1827 for a lost bitch ‘Lily’ at Ahakista. The House at O’Donovan’s Cove had a large area devoted to kennels

https://durrushistory.com/2015/07/06/1827-lost-beagle-bitch-answers-to-name-of-lily-belongs-to-dr-odonovan-odonovans-cove-durrus-reward-to-person-if-poor/

Richard Hungerford Evanson, Friendly Cove, held coursing meeting in Dromreagh in the 1870s which appear in the Skibbereen Eagle.

https://durrushistory.com/2015/07/01/29th-october-1864-coursing-meeting-of-friendly-cove-coursing-club-carrigboy-durrus-met-at-dromreagh-by-invitation-of-richard-evanson-esq-owner-the-ground-was-long-known-for-hares-being-strict/
Gaming in the hills was popular Lord Bandon maintained Durrus Court as a hunting lodge.

View original post 773 more words