Sale of Contents Parish Priests House Durrus Court, 28th March 1898, and other property Sales Durrus West Cork
Thanks to Peter Evans, London.
In the 1880s the Parish priest in Durrus had progressed to live in Durrus Court in Gearhameen which was rented from Lord Bandon. Ironically the house was built by the Evansons probably in the 1720s or so near Cul-na-Long a major McCarthy Castle built c 1620. In popular folklore the surrounds of Durrus Court was associated with the hanging of priests in the early 18th century. The house has recently undergone major renovation, one aspect of which was revealing that the first floor walls were made of turf, plastered over.