Early 19th century farmhouse and outbuildings with 12 pane detail in window at Lisheenacreagh Upper, (Lisín na Creiche: Little fort of the cattle spoil), Ballydehob, West Cork.
The photos are of the old Daly holding, south facing on high ground touching mountain land. In the mid 20th century the family bred prize giving cattle. The Dalys have probably been at that location since at least the early 19th century and perhaps earlier as evidenced by the Baptism Records of Schull East Church of Ireland:
The buildings are recessed into the hill and the outbuildings and hay shed are built on rock. The windows, 12 pane, on the upper part of the old house were common up to 60 years ago and probably date from the early 19th century. Another example would be a house owned by the Roycroft family on high ground in Toormore. There are square holes in the walls of the house. This was probably due to a grain store at upper level as evident from the external stairs. About 50 years ago there were grants available for grain storage provided ventilation was provided through such apertures.
Behind the house there is a row of old outhouses which have the appearance of pre famine cottages. It was common for middling to strong farmers to have labourers often living within the curtilage of the farm yard. Again these are set into the hill. In front of them is a ‘street’ of large slabs of either slate or sandstone. Another detail at the gable of the main house is a concrete water tank filled by down pipe. These were once common but were often removed due to the danger to children.
In the 1870s one of the girls from the family was attending teacher training at Kildare St. College. Some of the boys would have joined the RIC. Locally this was common, the pay while fairly low came with a good pension which could be accessed early and was often combined with farm purchase adn marriage. The family suffered its share of tragedy, Richard Daly, 22, was killed in World War 1 aged 22 on the 2nd July 1916. Later during the Troubles probably his sister was alleged to have reported the whereabouts of a local IRA unit and the house was burned down as a reprisal. If it is the same house it would account for two different structures in the same row. This is contained in the Bureau of Military History account of Seán O’Driscoll WS 1518 page 15.
The Dalys and the Trenders/Trinders had extensive bogs in Lisheenacreagh which were extensively worked during the War.