The use of mussel seed as a lime substitute in Kilcrohane, West Cork to the 1920s.
Pre 1845 the population of Kilcrohane was probably in excess of 10 times the present population. Every available piece of ground was pressed into service. It helped that the sea was nearby as sea sand and sea weed supplemented the soil which in some townlands was challenging to say the least.
One practice continued to the early 20th century , in some townlands the collection of mussel seed by scaping it from rocks in sea coves and later burning it as a lime substitute for the acidic soil. The mussel seed was known as ‘prash’.
In more modern times when mussel production began in Dumnaus Bay the seeds was again scraped from the rocks and used to fill the socks and again when they are depleted.