Richard O’Donovan 1818, Fort Lodge, Durrus listed 1838 , son Richard Esq. O’Donovan Cove, and Jane d Alexander O’Donovan, Squince. Father of Richard O’Donovan JP History Brother of Timothy and Dr. Daniel O’Donovan JP He married Maria O’Sullivan on the 15th October 1833, her father was Murty Og, of Ceimatringane House, Castletownbere. She died at Fort Lodge, aged 52, voted 1850 for Denis Galwey as High Constable for Ibane and Ballyroe (Clonakilty).
Richard O’Donovan 1845, Glenlough Cottage, Durrus listed 1838 , son Richard Esq. O’Donovan Cove, and Jane d Alexander O’Donovan, Squince. Son of Richard O’Donovan JP and Maria O’Sullivan, nephew of Timothy and Dr. Daniel O’Donovan JP , listed 1854.
Timothy O’Donovan (1790–1854), 1818, O’Donovan’s Cove, in ruins 1875, Durrus, listed 1838 , son Richard Esq. and Jane d Alexander O’Donovan, Squince. Correspondent with Antiquarian Dr. John O’Donovan re O’Donovans of Carbery. Brother of Dr O’Donovan and Richard O’Donovan JP and uncle of Richard O’Donovan JP. Landlord and political organiser. Member Election Committee, Rickard Deasy, Clonakilty (later Attorney General) 1855
Timothy O’Donovan (1790–1854), 1818, O’Donovan’s Cove, Durrus, listed 1838 , son Richard Esq. and Jane d Alexander O’Donovan, Squince. Correspondent with Antiquarian Dr. John O’Donovan re O’Donovans of Carbery. Brother of Dr O’Donovan and Richard O’Donovan JP and uncle of Richard O’Donovan JP.
Signature of Timothy O’Donovan, Magistrate/Justice of the Peace 1830 for Tithe Aplottments Caheragh (The O”Donovans are buried in the old Caheragh graveyard)
Takes a little time to open, details of title, tenancies, plan of estate.
Sale O’Donovan Estate, Durrus, Landed Estate Court 1876“>The above photographs are of Fort Lodge, an O’Donovan house near the residence of O’Donovan’s Cove. The property is owned by Mr. Ryan. Of that original residence nothing remains but the stones may have been used in the building of the house and farm buildings of the Cronin family which are adjacent to the site.
From University College Galway Database on landed estates.
ESTATE: O’DONOVAN (KILCROHANE)
The estate of Timothy O’Donovan, of O’Donovan’s Cove, parishes of Durrus and Kilcrohane, amounted to almost 2000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. The estate of the late Richard O’Donovan, MD, amounted to over 1600 acres in county Cork at the same time. Both were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcrohane, West Carbery, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Richard and Daniel O’Donovan held townlands in the parish of Inchigeelagh in 1851. In June 1869, over 1400 acres at Coolmountain, owned by Richard Donovan and others, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The sale notice indicates that the lands were held on lease from members of the Tonson, Lords Riversdale, estate since 1832. Kathleen O’Donovan, executrix of Richard O’Donovan, offered over 1000 acres of this estate for sale in the Landed Estates Court in July 1876. The original lease, dated 1752, was between the Bishop of Clonfert, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora and William Roberts. Timothy O’Donovan had taken up the lease in 1844.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Fort Lodge (H2676)
John B. Gumbleton was leasing this property to Richard Donovan at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, when it was valued at £7. In 1837 Lewis noted it as the seat of R. O’Donovan. It is now in ruins.
|Tullig||Durrus||Bantry||Glanlough 29||West Carbery (West)||Cork||Lat/Lon:51.60798
V888407 Discovery map #88. OS Sheet #130.
|O’Donovan’s Cove (H2687)
Timothy O’Donovan held this property in fee at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, when it was valued at £12. Lewis recorded it as the seat of T.O’Donovan in 1837. It is described as “in ruins” on the 25-inch map of the 1890s and no trace remains now.
|Rossnacaheragh||Kilcrohane||Bantry||Glanlough 29||West Carbery (West)||Cork||Lat/Lon:51.60523
V885404 Discovery map #88. OS Sheet #130.
- National Archives of Ireland: Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Donovan, 11 June 1869, Vol 94, MRGS 39/045, (microfilm copy in NUIG)
- National Archives of Ireland: Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), O’Donovan, 7 July 1876, Vol 125, MRGS 39/056, (microfilm copy in NUIG)
Contemporary printed sources
- GRIFFITH’S VALUATION OF IRELAND, 1850-1858. : West Carbery (West) Barony: 54 (Rossnacaheragh), 122 (Tullig)
- GRIFFITH’S VALUATION OF IRELAND, 1850-1858. : East Carbery (West) Barony: 115 (Coolmountain)
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878: 348
- LEWIS, Samuel. A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol.I, 591 (Durrus Parish)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties …. in Ireland. HC 1876, LXXX: 1
In 1615, Donnel O’Donovan, of Castledonovan, surrendered and was regranted large areas of lands including an interest in Brahalish. The Antiquarian Dr John O’Donovan, In his translation of ‘The Tribes of Ireland’ by Aonghis O Dalaigh 1852 states that Timothy O’Donovan of Ardahill, Kilcrohane descends from Keadagh Mor the youngest son of O’Donovan, by the daughter of Sir Owen MacCarthy Reagh was himself the purchaser of Adrahill, Carravileen, Derryclovane and Faunmore. The ancestor the Richard O’Donovan, Fort Lodge, Dr Daniel O’Donovan, Ahakista, and Timothy O’Donovan, the Cove took this large tract of land for 999 years from a Mr Congreve, of Mount Congreve, Co Waterford an undertaker and they still pay some small head rent.
One of the O’Donovan’s of Clann Lochlainn purchased land in fee simple at Ardahill, Kilcrohane but there is now no trace of his fine residence and imposing iron gates. He may have been Ceadach who was formerly in Inchoclogh, Bantry. In 1794 Timothy O’Donovan of this branch was born and married Mary daughter of Daniel O’Sullivan of Reendonegan House, Bantry and Hanora O’Connell. She was the aunt of Daniel O’Connell who secured Catholic Emancipation in 1828. Possibly around 1850 Ceadach O’Donovan helped in improvements to the Kilcrohane Church. He also built a water mill near the house and the mill race is still extant. By the mid 19th Century the family had fallen on hard times with two brothers in the Workhouse in Bantry. Some of the stones from the house may have been used to build outhouses near Fitzpatrick’s Pub.
Another O’Donovan of Clann Cathail held land by way of 999 year lease from Lord Riversdale and their house was at Tullig, O’Donovan’s Cove near Ahakista. Timothy O’Donovan of this branch was born in 1790 and was succeeded by his nephew Richard. Timothy was a Justice of the Peace in 1823 which was unusual for a Catholic who were only then a handful of the approximately 300 JPs in Co Cork at the time. In a Petty Session case in Castletownbeare involving Father Healy and a parishioner Sullivan in January 1845 his written opinion was sought by Resident Magistrate Litttle and he was described as a worthy Catholic Magistrate well known in the west Riding of Cork as a most practical and enlightened Catholic in this case on the discipline and conduct of Roman Catholic Clergymen.
Richard built the house Fort Lodge, now in ruins c 1830. He in turn married Maria O’Sullivan on the 15th. October 1833; her father was Murty Og, of Ceimatringane House, Castletownbere. She died at Fort Lodge, aged 52, on the 27th May 1865 the death reported by her son Richard. The Antiquarian Dr. John O’Donovan states that a Richard O’Donovan of this family entered the Irish College in Toulouse, joined the Irish Service in France and became a well known swordsman. In this house Diarmuid (Jerry) a’Duna, the last of the MacCarthys of Glennacroim near Dunmanway spent his final days ending an ancient line. He was 83 when he died and was the great grandson of Teige-an Duna the last to reside in the McCarthy Castle in Dunmanway.
Richard O’Donovan, O’Donovan’s Cove is listed in Pigot’s Directory of 1824 and at Fort Lodge in Slater’s Directory of 1846 as well as one of Co. Cork’s property owners in 1870. Daniel O’Donovan of Ahakista cottage (now demolished) is listed in Slater 1862 as a Magistrate. Tim O’Donovan appears in Thom’s Directory 1862 at O’Donovan’s Cove; he is buried in a large tomb in the old graveyard in Caheragh. Tim O’Donovan is listed as a Magistrate of O’Donovan’s Cove, Carrickbui, and Bantry. It is believed that the O’Donovans had sub-tenants such as the O’Brien family of Glenlough.
The various O’Donovan houses are shown in the 1842 Ordnance Survey Maps of 1842 all surrounded by trees and outbuildings at Ardahill Kilcrohane, O’Donovan’s Cove and Fort Lodge. The Cove had extensive wooded grounds going down to the sea and a gate lodge on the northern upper road. Guy’s Directory of 1875 refers to Timothy O’Donovan deceased and the Cove ‘almost in ruins’. By 1913, the Cove was shown in ruins and Ardahill had disappeared. There is now no trace of the house at Ardahill or O’Donovan’s Cove, apart from wide iron gates on the main Durrus-Ahakista road near the Cove. These gates are known as the white gates and in former times were a gathering place for fisherfolk. Mrs Cronin of the nearby farm (b.1917) says that the house was demolished and she heard that the Cronin farmhouse was partly built with stones from that house. She said there were stables and kennels for the hounds. She understood that the O’Donovans were good landlords. The orchard nearby is still extant. There is another later O’Donovan house on higher ground (Fort Lodge) last occupied by Miss Kate O’Donovan (known as Miss Katty) who in the 1870s had 1,243 acres. She is remembered as being very generous and in the end indigent, apart from the old age pension. She died in 1928 and is buried in the Durrus Chapel Graveyard with her cousin Jane Blair. In her latter years the house had part of the roof missing and on the night of her wake the timbers of the house were removed for fire wood. The house was lost and forgotten until Mr Ryan purchased the property and in 2006 removed the ivy revealing the full extent of that property.
Other branches of the O’Donovan family conformed to the Established Church from the end of the 17th Century and in the 1730s and intermarried with the Townsend, Beecher and Tonson families among others and their descendants gave service in the Royal Navy, British army and Colonial Service.
In the 18th and 19th centuries families in West Cork and South Kerry such as the O’Donovans, the O’Leary, the O’Sullivans, the McSweeneys and McCarthys managed to acquire leasehold interests as middlemen and had close ties of marriage with each other. These interests may be seen in the Tithe Aplottments, Ordnance Survey Name Books and Griffith Valuations. In 1857 Peter McSwiney, the last lineal descendant of the Mac Finin Dubh O’Sullivans (a 400 year old title), after his eviction from Dereen in Kenmare by the Lansdowne Estate, spent his last days in Ahakista Cottage. Richard O’Donovan, O’Donovan’s Cove is listed in Pigot’s Directory of 1824 and at Fort Lodge in Slater’s Directory of 1846 as well as one of Co. Cork’s property owners in 1870. Daniel O’Donovan of Ahakista cottage (now demolished) is listed in Slater 1862 as a Magistrate. Tim O’Donovan appears in Thom’s Directory 1862 at O’Donovan’s Cove. Tim O’Donovan is listed as a Magistrate of O’Donovan’s Cove, Carrickbui, and Bantry. In the late 19th century newspaper obituaries mention ‘old established’ or ‘long tailed’ families and families such as the Dillons and Cantys of Clashadoo, O’Sullivans of Crottees, the Rosses and Kingstons of Glendart are so described and may be indicative of a slightly lesser social stratum then the petty landlord families.
Burke’s Peerage 1871 has a piece on the O’Donovans of O’Donovan’s Cove pointing out their ancient lineage and family relations.