Tags

, , , , , , , , ,


In 1700 Bishop Dives Downes visited Durrus and said the landowners included Colonel Freke presumably Ballycomane.

Match 670 from ‘CSO/RP’
NAI REFERENCE: CSO/RP/SC/1821/299
TITLE: Letter from 6th baron Carbery, County Cork, reporting his efforts to maintain law and order in area
SCOPE & CONTENT: Letter from John Evans-Freke, 6th baron Carbery, Castle Freke, Rosscarbery, County Cork, to Chief Secretary’s Office, Dublin Castle, concerning the state of his neighbourhood and emphasising his own vigilance in keeping the peace. Urges government to adopt ‘vigorous’ measures to prevent the ‘contagion’ from spreading to all parts of Ireland. Comments that, ‘Until the Irish are taught to obey the Laws by a due sense of religious and moral Obligation they must be made to obey them by coercive means – This is a most difficult Country to govern’.
EXTENT: 1 item; 4pp
DATE(S): 30 Nov 1821
DATE EARLY: 1821
DATE LATE: 1821

For Map of Ballycomane, Durrus, c1770

https://durrushistory.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/ballycomane/

From University College Galway, database, includes town land of Ballycommane.

FAMILY: EVANS/EVANS-FREKE (BARON CARBERY)

The National Library, Map Collection has a map of the estate of family compiled by Thomas Sherrard it included the townland of ‘Ballycomaune’ (Ballycomane), Durrus and was done in 1788.  It shows the townland with a ford at the road to Bantry presumably where the former creamery was.

Ballycomane is divided into:

West 210 acres arable, mountain

Middle 266 acres arable and pasture

Mountain 318 acres coarse mountain

Lissheen 305 acres arable and mountain

East 213 acres arable and mountain.

The total area is 1,315 acres, and the total family estate is 15,276 acres.  The maps are beautifully produced in a black hue.

In addition local townlands bordering on the estate are listed with the owners and are

Glenlough, Knowlavard (Moulivard) and Clonee Hugh Hutchinson.  West Clonee Arthur Hyde.  Kielreagh and Dromreagh Rt. Hon. Lord Riversdale.  Carrigboy, Dromtineheen and Crutteee (Crottees), James Bernard.

Family name: Evans/Evans-Freke
Family title: Baron Carbery
Description:
Estates:
  • Evans/Evans-Freke – John Evans, of Welsh descent, settled in the city of Limerick in the early 17th century. In 1666 George Evans was granted 2,376 acres in counties Limerick and Tipperary. The Right Honourable George Evans of Bulgaden Hall, parish of Uregare, county Limerick, married Mary, a daughter of John Eyre of Eyre Court, county Galway in 1679. Their eldest son George was created Baron Carbery of Carbery, county Cork, in 1715. He married Anne Stafford of Blatherwick. The descendants of their eldest son George eventually died out in the main line and it was the grandson of their second son John Evans Freke of Bulgaden Hall, who eventually became the 6th Baron. He was succeeded by his nephew George Patrick Evans Freke in 1845. In the early 1850s Baroness Carbery, widow of the 6th Baron, held land in the parishes of Athneasy, Kilbreedy Major, Uregare, baronies of Smallcounty, Coshma and Coshlea, county Limerick, and in the parish of Athnowen, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. In the 1870s Lord Carbery of Castlefreke, county Cork, owned 13,692 acres in county Cork, 2,724 acres in county Limerick and much smaller estates in counties Kilkenny and Queen’s county [county Laois]. The Parliamentary Return of 1876 records Stewart and Kincaid as his land agents. The representatives of Lady Carbery’s estate were among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dromdaleague, Durrus, Tullagh, barony of West Carbery, the parishes of Kilkerranmore and Rathbarry, barony of Ibane & Barryroe and the parishes of Ross and Fanlobbus, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Lord Carbery was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilbrittain, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. The estate was sold by John, Lord Carbery, in 1919