Funeral 1941, John Henry Atkins, Merchant, Dunmanway,
1941, John Henry Atkins, Merchant, Dunmanway
Since 1878, Atkins has had a long tradition of supplying farm machinery, home and garden tools and equipment, and much more. We now operate across Ireland with 3 convenient locations in Co. Cork and one in Birr, Co. Offaly. We also offer our full range to purchase through our online shop. Take advantage of our free courier delivery on all orders over €60 throughout the Republic of Ireland
THE ATKINS STORY https://www.atkins.ie/news/history Since 1878 John Atkins & Co have been supporting, working with and delivering to Irish Farmers. Through the generations the same top-quality standards have been maintained. 1878When John (Atkins) met Joseph (Wolfe) to form an agricultural merchants at 49 South Mall, Cork. 18852nd outlet opened at 5 Patrick’s Quay. Company now north & south of the river! 1898 McKenzies, a competitor on nearby Camden Quay, acquired. Atkins and McKenzies kept as separate entities offering different products and serving different customers. 1899Legal entity, John Atkins & Co. Ltd., founded. Registration no. 2827, now one of Ireland’s oldest surviving companies.Company 50% owned by both John and Joseph. 1900Rapid growth required another outlet. 54 South Mall, Cork opened 1910WWI, War of Independence, Civil war. Period of retrenchment. John & Joseph, being of the Protestant faith, must have thought about getting out but didn’t and passed the business on to the second generation. 1920Expansion again. Southern Seed Company acquired, outlet opened in Dingle (Co. Kerry). 1936-45″Economic War”, WWII: a grim period in Irish life and farming. Any company does well to come through it. 1950And we’re off again. Into the 3rd generation now. Outlet opened in Clonakilty. New fertiliser subsidiary, CFD, complete with drying plant, built at Monahan Rd., Cork. Staff partake in funding the new company. 1961South Mall outlets closed, Winthrop Street “home and garden store” with its cutting edge “self selection” format opened. 1964Relocation of the farm machinery business from Patricks Quay in Cork City to Carrigrohane Road on the outskirts of the city. Commencement of importation of several lines of machinery from Europe, including Bredal & Bogballe, still successful today. 1970-1980 Ireland joins EEC, farming flourishes, machinery in demand. Addition of branches at Bandon, Fermoy, Midleton to consolidate the territory of Cork for the farm machinery division. McKenzies (garden machinery) and Gardenworld also thrive on urbanisation or Ireland. 1996 Peter Wolfe (4th generation) buys out Atkins family shareholders 2008 Gardenworld rebuilt after a flood the previous year Like this: Like Loading...