1674, Bounty for Wolves, Kinsale. Parish of Desertserges (Enniskeane) there is a townland of Breaghna means a place with plenty of wolves, Dunmanway, Cnoc na gConallach- Hill of the dogs or wolves.
From Richard Caulfield’s Annals of Kinsale, his mother was Gosnell possibly far back from Schull area, the Gosnells are interrelated to Evans, Youngs, O’Regans, Crowleys, Prittie O’Sullivans (Caheragh):
In the Parish of Desertserges (Enniskeane) there is a townland of Breaghna means a place with plenty of wolves, Bruno O’Donoghue, Parish Histories of West Cork. In Bennetts History of Bandon he describes the same Parish as a retreat for wolves.
The late Dick Warner in Irish Examiner:
In 1698 a Cork alderman made a written complaint about the number of foxes and wolves in and around the city. But the fate of the wolf in Ireland was sealed in the 1600s and Oliver Cromwell is probably responsible. During the Cromwellian Plantation the first settlers to arrive in the country were horrified to find it full of wolves. The animals had long been extinct in England and Wales, the only British survivors were in remote parts of the Scottish Highlands.
So in 1653 the Cromwellian government placed a bounty on them –- £5 for a male wolf and £6 for a female. This was a massive amount of money in those days. Persecuted by bounty hunters and with their forest habitat dwindling, wolves started to decline in numbers.
Derrylahan (508 acres) Doire Leathan- Broad oakwood. It might read Doire leacan-wood of the slope. At the southside is Mount Gunnery- Meall gConai (mound of the paths). Canon Lyons wrote it Cnoc na gConallach- Hill of the dogs or wolves. Present Local name is Yew Tree Hill. According to Bennett (history of Bandon) here grew a remarkable specimen of old Irish yew, and its bulk was such that at a distance of two yards from the ground it had a circumference of eighteen feet. A boulder on its south side is called An Marcach- The rider.
From Dorothea History of Townsends, p.146