Pre famine Caheragh had one of the highest rural population densities in the world. The Protestant population was small. Here perhaps not all signed, the Evans family of Lissangle, who were probably there are not signatories, perhaps they were Methodist.
Most of the Caheragh townlands appear early 17th century in surrender and re grants of the O’Donovans of Castledonovan and Sir Walter Coppinger (he mortgaged to the McCarthys and went into possession when they defaulted). Their lands were forfeit for rebellion post 1641.
One of the complaints of the parishioners in that of a non-resident clergyman, who only appears once a year to collect tithes. The areas was the centre of anti tithe agitation in the 1820s.
1825 Petition of 70 Named Protestant Parishioners of Caheragh Pray to have a new church constructed
Mr. Thomas Wood, Woodford, Near Skibbereen
Thomas Wood Senior (Relatives still in West Cork)
John Snr. Wood
Thomas W. Wood
Mary B. Ross
Ursula Baker (Bakers of Rossmore, Durrus and Rochester, New York, Canada reputed related to Jermyns)
Richard Hitchcock (Hitchcocks alos in Durrus)
Gibbs Ross (Gibbs a common name in families in Caheragh, Drimoleague, Durrus and in Catholic branches)
Mary Cotter (Cotters of Danish origin, a branch migrated from East Cork 1640s)
Mathew Sweetnam (Mathew/Matthew a common name in family in Dunbeacon, Skibbereen, Drinagh)
|TITLE:||Petition of parishioners of the parish of Caheragh, County Cork, requesting aid be provided to build a parish church|
|SCOPE & CONTENT:||Copy petition of the Protestant [Church of Ireland] parishioners of the parish of Caharagh [Caheragh], County Cork, to Richard Wellesley, 1st Marquis Wellesley, Lord Lieutenant, Dublin Castle, requesting aid be provided to build a parish church. States that Thomas Wood, one of their members, has agreed to supply a site for the proposed church at a reasonable cost, or alternatively that are agreeable to have a new building in the vicinity of the old graveyard. Remarks unlike their counterparts in neighbouring parishes, they have neither place of worship, resident clergyman or school; observes their rector, Reverend [John] Webb, only visits the parish once a year ‘for the purpose of Collecting his Tythes [tithes]’. Warns of the decline in religious observance and claims numbers of their community have ‘turned to mass and several have been buried without received Protestant burial’ rites. Complains that a number of applications for redress directed to the bishop of Cork and Ross [Thomas St Lawrence] have not received an answer, and asks that a reply to their memorial be sent to Thomas Wood Sr, Woodford, near Skibbereen, County Cork. Document signed by 70 parishioners with surnames Wood, Levis, Ross, Jermyn, Baker, Hitchcock, Taylor, Cue, Talbert, Cotter, Kingston, Roberts and Swetnam [Sweetman]. [Contains list of names not given in this description.]|
|EXTENT:||1 item; 3pp|
|DATE(S):||c18 Mar 1825|