April 1689. Selection of MPs for Borough of Baltimore. Cornelius O’Donovan, Morrogh O’Donovan, Cornelius O’Donovan of Kilmacabea, Daniel O’Donovan of Kilgliny, Daniel Regane, Daniel O’Donovan of Gortnaskehy, Tymothy Regan, Daniel O’Donovan of Fournaught, Thady Regan of Ballinacloghy, Cornelius O’Donovan of Ballynacala, Keadagh O’Donovan als O’Donovane, all Burgesses of Baltimore have chosen Daniel O’Donovan and Jeremie Donovan Esq. as Member.
Jeremie may have been an attorney in Dublin interfacing on behalf of local families with the authorities.
In many ways this was the last horray of the old local Gaelic Order. In the following year the Battle of The Battle of The Boyne would settle affairs for over 200 hundred years. Families of English origin were in the area since around 1600 such as the Bechers and Townsends. Relations seem to have been reasonable between the local Gentry.
After the confiscations, the O’Regans miraculously managed to hold onto their lands:
Jeremiah O’Donovan (Irish: Diarmaid Ó Donnabháin), The O’Donovan of Clan Loughlin, Lord of Clan Loughlin, was MP for Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland, in James II‘s Patriot Parliament of 1689, alongside his kinsmen Daniel O’Donovan (MP Baltimore) of Clancahill and Daniel O’Donovan (MP Doneraile).
He was also appointed Registrar of the Admiralty in Ireland by James II.
Jeremy O’Donovan was the son of Daniel Mac Murtogh O’Donovan, Lord of Clan Loughlin. A Protestant, he married in 1686 Elizabeth Tallant, daughter of Oliver Tallant, and they had issue 1) Jeremiah, 2) John, and 3) Anne.
Jeremy Donovan served in the Patriot Parliament of 1689, his Protestant standing kept him from being outlawed as were the other O’Donovan members of the House of Commons of the Parliament. Daniel O’Donovan, Esq. (M.P. Doneraile) and Daniel O’Donovan, gent. (M.P. of Baltimore) were both outlawed as they were Catholic, while Jeremy was not.
He died in 1709, leaving his sons minors. He was succeeded by 1) Jeremiah, who inherited his estates, but sold the manor in its entirety in 1737 to Richard Tonson.
The Jeremy Donovan’s of Leap.
The Jeremy Donovan’s had 3 townlands near Leap in 1670. Details of size, owner in 1641 and numbers on the land from the 1659 census follow.