1679. The Manors of Bantry and the Manor of Altham are granted by Charles II, King of Great Britain and Ireland, 1660-85, Chancery Roll of 6 February 1679 to the Earl of Anglesea.
Formerly O’Sullivan forfeit lands.
Courtesy Cork Archives:
Reference is made to the 1679 report of the Lieutenant General of Ireland, the Earl of Ormond, proposing the creation of two manors in favour of Anglesea. The manors are granted by king’s chancery roll of 6 February 1679, creating the Manor of Bantry and the manor of Altham. The present deed confirms that and grants demenses in each manor to Anglesea. Also granted is the power ‘to hold a Court Leet and View of Frank Pledge.., (a) Court Baron.., (a) Court of Record’, and to appoint bailiffs, with power of imprisonment [Manorial Court privileges]. Hunting rights, power to erect a tannery for hides, and market days and fairs (to be held at Ballygobane ‘als Oldtown’) are also granted. Letters patent confirming the foregoing lodged 15 March 1679. The document is dated 10 April 1679. True copy lodged with Clerk of the Peace of the County of Cork, 25 July 1787. The deed sheds light on the extension of English administration in the Beara and Bantry areas in the later 17th century, and on the power of the Earl of Anglesea in that area. The detail on the extensive privileges and freedoms granted to Anglesea, including court and other jurisdiction, is of particular interest.