Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 20.15.04

Cashelane Church of Ireland School, Parish of Schull, West Cork Photo of Pupils early 1930s
Cashelane Church of Ireland School early 1930s

 

The school was initially supported by the Church Education Society.  There was an application by the Rev. R. H. Carroll, the manager of Altar rectory, Toormore, for a grant to build a new school.  This was in his name, and that of Rev. J.T. Levis of Durrus and Rev. Brady of Ballydehob. The existing school was unsuitable due to distance for pupils.  The school would have 30 children mixed; that it had been inoperative since 1902, as a teacher could not be located.  In 1902 the average attendance was 10.7-11.  The nearby Catholic School at Dunbeacon had an average attendance of 54.8-68.3, and included 11 Established Church children, and had an assistant teacher.  It was expected that the enrolment of the new school would be 21 males and 13 females. There were no objections to the development from Rev. O’ Callaghan P.P but Fr. O’Connor whose school at Dunbeacon would lose 11 children, objected as did Rev. W. Caldwell, the Morreagh manager of the Methodist School.  The previous teacher Mrs. Griffin resigned in December 1902 and the school was technically taken off the school register from that date, to be restored on completion of the new school on July 1906.  Ms. Trinder, who had qualified from the Church of Ireland College in 1894, and had taught at Kilcoe/Corrovally was appointed and the new manager was Rev. A.J. Brady, as the school was now in his parish.  In October 1906 the attendance was 10 boys and 10 girls out of a possible enrolment of 22.

 

The school is built on a site at Old Mill Farm, Dunbeacon just off the Durrus Toormore Road.  The site was donated by the Sweetnam family.  The school closed around 1945 and has been converted to a private residence. Only the gate suggests the former use.

 

20160824_144629 

 

Mrs Sweetnam from Raheen who taught in the school was married to a second cousin of this family.  She had no Irish which caused difficulty post Independence.  In the late 1930s Lizzie Jermyn who had good Irish and was young taught Irish a few days a week.

After the school closed the pupils dispersed some to Durrus and Ballydehob an som ot the local Catholic school at dunbeacon around the corner.

 

Teachers

 

Mrs. Griffin, -1902 Ms. Trinder, 1906-

 

Photograph c 1933.

 

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 20.19.23

 

Back Row, left to right.  Teacher/Trainee?  Teacher Mrs Annie Sweetnam, Dunbeacon, not qualified not sure if it was because she had no Irish.  Good teacher for writing, hymns, sent her two daughters to Ballydehob.  School closed mid 1940s.  Some pupils went to St. James Durrus Some to Dunbeacon Catholic.  Lack of Irish meant that pupils used to go to St. James probably to Líam Blennerhassett from Kerry he had excellent Irish.

 

No. 2  Richard (Sonny) Pyburn, b 1919, all Pyburns Dunbeacon, farmer.  May have spent some months in St. James, Durrus.

 

Front:

 

No. 2 Victor Sweetnam, Lahern, brother to Nan Sweetnam, farmer, never married.

 

No 3. Nan Levis, Cashelane, lived with her single brother neither married, farmers.

 

No. 4.  Georgina Pyburn, Dunbeacon, married George Bower (He is buried St. James, Durrus), Co. Louth, he was a horticulturalist with Guinness at Birr.  2 boys, Raymond, Bert, i girl.

 

No. 5.  Susan Pyburn, married Charlie Gilliard, mechanic, London, 1 boy 1 girl.

 

No. 7 Vera Pyburn, m Ernie Splaine, Riverstick, KInsale,, Son Robert (Show jumping champion) Freida, Jean

 

3 small boys don’t know names possibly one a Phillips from Dunbeacon or William Levis no family married in to farm.

 

 

The school was initially supported by the Church Education Society.  There was an application by the Rev. R. H. Carroll, the manager of Altar rectory, Toormore, for a grant to build a new school.  This was in his name, and that of Rev. J.T. Levis of Durrus and Rev. Brady of Ballydehob. The existing school was unsuitable due to distance for pupils.  The school would have 30 children mixed; that it had been inoperative since 1902, as a teacher could not be located.  In 1902 the average attendance was 10.7-11.  The nearby Catholic School at Dunbeacon had an average attendance of 54.8-68.3, and included 11 Established Church children, and had an assistant teacher.  It was expected that the enrolment of the new school would be 21 males and 13 females. There were no objections to the development from Rev. O’ Callaghan P.P but Fr. O’Connor whose school at Dunbeacon would lose 11 children, objected as did Rev. W. Caldwell, the Morreagh manager of the Methodist School.  The previous teacher Mrs. Griffin resigned in December 1902 and the school was technically taken off the school register from that date, to be restored on completion of the new school on July 1906.  Ms. Trinder, who had qualified from the Church of Ireland College in 1894, and had taught at Kilcoe/Corrovally was appointed and the new manager was Rev. A.J. Brady, as the school was now in his parish.  In October 1906 the attendance was 10 boys and 10 girls out of a possible enrolment of 22.

 

The school is built on a site at Old Mill Farm, Dunbeacon just off the Durrus Toormore Road.  The site was donated by the Sweetnam family.  The school closed around 1945 and has been converted to a private residence. Only the gate suggests the former use.  Mrs Sweetnam from Raheen who taught in the school was married to a second cousin of this family.  She had no Irish which caused difficulty post Independence.  In the late 1930s Lizzie Jermyn who had good Irish and was young taught Irish a few days a week.

After the school closed the pupils dispersed some to Durrus and Ballydehob an som ot the local Catholic school at dunbeacon around the corner.

 

Teachers

 

Mrs. Griffin, -1902 Ms. Trinder, 1906-

 

Photograph c 1933.

 

Back Row, left to right.  Teacher/Trainee?  Teacher Mrs Annie Sweetnam, Dunbeacon, not qualified not sure if it was because she had no Irish.  Good teacher for writing, hymns, sent her two daughters to Ballydehob.  School closed mid 1940s.  Some pupils went to St. James Durrus Some to Dunbeacon Catholic.  Lack of Irish meant that pupils used to go to St. James probably to Líam Blennerhassett from Kerry he had excellent Irish.

 

No. 2  Richard (Sonny) Pyburn, b 1919, all Pyburns Dunbeacon, farmer.  May have spent some months in St. James, Durrus.

 

Front:

 

No. 2 Victor Sweetnam, Lahern, brother to Nan Sweetnam, farmer, never married.

 

No 3. Nan Levis, Cashelane, lived with her single brother neither married, farmers.

 

No. 4.  Georgina Pyburn, Dunbeacon, married George Bower (He is buried St. James, Durrus), Co. Louth, he was a horticulturalist with Guinness at Birr.  2 boys, Raymond, Bert, i girl.

 

No. 5.  Susan Pyburn, married Charlie Gilliard, mechanic, London, 1 boy 1 girl.

 

No. 7 Vera Pyburn, m Ernie Splaine, Riverstick, KInsale,, Son Robert (Show jumping champion) Freida, Jean

 

3 small boys don’t know names possibly one a Phillips from Dunbeacon or William Levis no family married in to farm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dunbeacon, West Cork, National School 1902 -c 1975

 

https://durrushistory.com/2011/10/11/caesar-otway-journey-mount-gabriel-1822/

 

Courtesy Peter Clarke:

 

http://sheepsheadplaces.net/dunbeacon-national-school

 

Around the corner was the former Church f Ireland school at Castlefean 1904-c 1945.  It has been tastefully restored as  a private residence.  Only the gate gives evidence of its former state.

 

 

20160824_144258

20160824_144242