Swanton was a member of a family involved in milling, mining, business one of the partners was McNamara. After many of the local estates were sold off in the 1850s by the Landed estates Court the Swantons bought a considerable amount of land, later to be bought by the Land Commission and title give to tenants c 1905. The Swantons retired to Dublin to Carrisbrook House, Ballsbridge.
James Hutchinson Swanton, 1815 – 1891, son of William Swanton, Ballydehob and Hanna Hutchinson, Clonee, Durrus. Her father, Hugh Hutchinson, landlord and Margaret O’Sullivan, Ballagahadown between Caheragh and Drimoleague. She is probably sister to Eugene O’Sullivan, Gent, middleman on a number of estates including Dunmanway Shouldham Estate. He is a church warden, Drimoleague c 1790. The Hutchinson major property owners in Bantry since at least mid 17th century. Not to be confused with Bantry Hutchins family. Slowly lands including Blackrock House now Bantry House acquired by Richard White (Ancestor of Lord Bantry). Estate sold Landed Estates Court 1850s.