James Hutchinson Swanton, 1815 – 1891, son of William Swanton, Ballydehob and Hanna Hutchinson, Clonee, Durrus. Her father, Hugh Hutchinson, landlord and Margaret O’Sullivan, Ballagahadown between Caheragh and Drimoleague. She is probably sister to Eugene O’Sullivan, Gent, middleman on a number of estates including Dunmanway Shouldham Estate. He is a church warden, Drimoleague c 1790. The Hutchinson major property owners in Bantry since at least mid 17th century. Not to be confused with Bantry Hutchins family. Slowly lands including Blackrock House now Bantry House acquired by Richard White (Ancestor of Lord Bantry). Estate sold Landed Estates Court 1850s.
James Hutchinson Swanton, Rineen Skibbereen, resident, April 1857, £143. Report on 1850 dinner for Sir Robert Kane, President Queens College. Prominent Methodist. From 1875 Carrisbrook House, Pembroke Ballsbridge. Businessman, miller. landowner, sitting Skibbereen 1861,
House at Rineen, in the 1901 census the house was occupied by Fr James Kearney and was categorised as a ‘First Class’ with 20 rooms and 16 windows in the front of the house. It was also occupied by a house-keeper, parlour maid and coachman.
Built around 1850 by James Hutchinson Swanton who was a Justice of the Peace, a man of considerable substance in the area and a major partner in the adjacent mill (now disused). Later he lived at Carrisbrook House, Ballsbridge, Dublin:
From Adrian Healy’s postcard collection Mill at Rineen: