Subscribers to the New Church at O’Donovan’s Cove (Rosnacaheragh Ahakista), West Cork, 1826, including Major contribution from Messrs, Beamish and Crawford, Brewers, Cork, Stained Glass provided later By Arundel Family and Rosnacaheraagh National School 1885. In the photographs, the back windows are in the style of if not the early 19th century windows. Members of the Arundel family associated with the church are buried in the grounds.
Beamish and Crawford were until 1833 the largest brewery in Ireland:
The O’Donovans referred to were the local landlords and unusually Catholics, they held the land from around 1750, Fort Lodge is still extant on a hill in poor condition and currently for sale. Wises are probably the Cork Distilling family of the North Mall. The Galweys may have bantry connections. The Tobins were a prominent Kilcrohane family.
The Evansons were landlords and the Rev. Alleyn Evanson, living at Durrus Court, Gearhameen, an Unbeneficed clergyman (non practising), his Estate ran from around the present Bog road to Bantry to O’Donovan’s Cove. He also had smaller Estates in Kilcrohane from Delacour who in turn had them from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Durrus lands had been Evansons from 1690 to 1720, they got into financial difficulty and sold them to Francis Bernard of Bandon. He in turn leased them back and the lease fell in around 1850 when the Bandon Estate built the present village of Durrus. The other Evansons were on the other side of the bay at Friendly Cove and Ardoeena.
Father Quin a dynamic priest from Co. Tipperary at the time was embarking on a major church building programme, He was a major political figure and died in 1859 in the Mercy Hospital Cork. The church is still in use.