Tenants on the Abercorn estate, 1794:
The Brooks/Brookes of Dromreagh (Drom Riabhach, stripe, grey ridge), Durrus, West Cork coming early 19th century as Weavers from Ryelands, Raphoe, on the Abercorn Estate in East Donegal, some go to New Zealand early 20th century, and 1926 sale of family holding Dromreagh on move to Courtmacsherry, subject to ‘a trifling annuity’ with an acre and a half of furze meadow.
The sale in 1926 was by Richard Kingston (Brooks on his mother’s side) who was moving to Maraboro in Courtmacsherry. This is consistent with a pattern at the time to move to better land and larger farms nearer Cork City.
The Brooks came from East Donegal either around 1805 or later in the century as weavers to Dromreagh in Durrus. In that and the surrounding townlands of Coolculaghta and Ardogeena there are a number of families who probably came into the area as weavers such as the Lannins, Johnsons, possibly again from the North of Ireland.
Susan Baretta of Salt Lake City in Utah’s work on the 1830 Tithe Applotments shows the families resident in the relevant townlands who had some type of property interest:
The Brooks were largely Methodist as were some of the families from a weaving background. There are a number of marriages to Methodist families such as branches of the Drimoleague Kingstons, Sullivans, Clarks, the can now be accessed in general terms in the digitalised civil records:
In the mid 18th century Sir Richard Cox founded Dunmanway and introduced flax and linen weaving with the assistance of families from North Leitrim and Fermanagh. Across the hill from Dromreagh the Beecher Estate brought down the Marmions from Dundalk around 1740 to improve the estate which probably included the introduction of flax
The townlands mentioned were in the ownership of the Evanson family at the time. It is not possible to say if they directl ran the estate or had a stewart.
The work of Gordon Kingston and Anne Coury in New Zealand has tracked the marriages and movement of family members and with credit to them is included here, at 1g:
Pingback: New Zealand, West Cork Links. | West Cork History