The Cork Archives contains the records of Bantry Workhouse
It contains the following resolution…..’14 Aug 1850 Resolved, that the auxiliary workhouse at Fourmilewater be given up, the girls returned to the main house, and the services of the officers in that house (chaplain, physician, matron, and porter) dispensed with’. Around the same period there was one relieving officer for the Durrus/Kilcrohane area.
A photo of the mill appears on Flickr
This is probably the old Grain Store which fronts onto Dunmanus Bay opposite Durrus Pier. This was built by the Evanson family c 1790s and put up for sale in the 1820s. There are in fact two separate building of different construction one a store the other a kiln. There are remains of a cobbled roadway from the Durrus to Dunbeacon road giving access past Friendly Cove.
This was probably built by the shore of the Bay opposite the present pier around the end of the 18th Century when during the Napoleonic Wars there was extensive grain growing. John Crowley recalls the older people telling him that they were told that up to half the corn grown had to be given to the landlord and delivered to the grain store. One wet year the grain was wet and swelled in the warehouse. The Landlord called out the tenants who had to shovel the sprouting grain into the Bay where it turned the water white. In 1800 the Dublin writer Isaac Weld said of Beara ‘agriculture has been much promoted throughout this country by the Cork Merchants; who have built storehouses in suitable positions along the coast, where clerks are stationed to purchase corn, whenever farmers of the adjacent districts find it convenient to bring it for sale, to the labour and uncertainty of carrying it to a distant market. The low grounds are devoted to tillage and on the hills are fed numerous herds of cows, from whose produce butter of the best quality is made which is all sent to Cork’. The store was advertised in 1829 with a kiln in a good corn growing country at the head of Dunmanus Bay, good facility of shipping and lying of vessels of 60 tons at the store by J Evanson, Ardgeena. The other grain store at Sea Lodge may also have been owned by the Evansons who had a house at Sea Lodge. In 1800 a Captain Evans was an overseer at the grain store; he lived in a house between the former Priest’s House (Durrus Court) and Sea Lodge. Corn was taken from these stores by luggers, small sailing craft to Cork where it was trans shipped to larger vessels.
In O’Donovan Rossa’s memoir he describes the grain stores of Rosscarbery/Clonakilty of his youth and the farmer’s grain being distrained there towards the payment of rent.
Richard O’Donovan, Landlord, Fort Lodge also had a grain store fronting onto Bantry Bay which was put up for sale in the 1830s, no trace remains.
Evanson history from Paddy O’Keeffe papers:
Letter from John T Collins to Paddy O’Keeffe 6 Jan 1955 ‘To be let 25. 9. 1829. Commodious gardens and demesne of Ardageena 5 miles from Bantry and 12 of Skibbereen. Well equipped out offices. 6 horse stables with stables and walled in farmyard hay lofts etc. Any person taking house can set land from 18 A 96 acres. Good turbary sea manure and a sand quay sea bathing in perfection within 3 mins walk from house. Also to be let a large corn store and kiln and a good corn growing country at the head of Dunmanus Bay. Great facility of shipping and lying of vessels of 60 tons at the store. Apply J Evanson Esq Adrgeena.The records also contain the following ….28 Nov 1848 Total inmates: 2131. Out door relief: 5013 persons. The district included the Durrus/Kilcrohane area, Kealkil and Glengariff