The Cork Archives contains the records of Bantry Workhouse
It contains the following resolution…..’14 Aug 1850 Resolved, that the auxiliary workhouse at Fourmilewater be given up, the girls returned to the main house, and the services of the officers in that house (chaplain, physician, matron, and porter) dispensed with’. Around the same period there was one relieving officer for the Durrus/Kilcrohane area.
A photo of the mill appears on Flickr
This is probably the old Grain Store which fronts onto Dunmanus Bay opposite Durrus Pier. This was built by the Evanson family c 1790s and put up for sale in the 1820s. There are in fact two separate building of different construction one a store the other a kiln. There are remains of a cobbled roadway from the Durrus to Dunbeacon road giving access past Friendly Cove.
This was probably built by the shore of the Bay…
View original post 372 more words