Tags


present day Christchurch:

http://triskelartscentre.ie/

https://durrushistory.com/2014/01/09/richard-caulfield-1823-1887-cork-antiquarian-scholar-and-the-transcription-of-burials-from-the-1748-1764-and-11th-february-1764-of-the-church-records-cork-city-1877/

https://durrushistory.com/2014/08/23/dr-richard-caulfield-antiquarian-librarian-of-queen-college-now-ucc-cork-mother-catherine-gosnell-probably-from-schull-by-j-p-mccarthy-1987/

This was transcribed by Cork Antiquarian Richard Caulfield in 1877 and the following is an extract

‘Church of the Holy Trinity or Christ Church, Cork, occupies the
site of one of the two ancient Parish Churches, once within the
City walls. It was also called the ‘King’s Chapel,’ and is mentioned as the
Church of the Holy Trinity in the Decretal Epistles of Pope Innocent III.,
in the year 1199, and is rated in the Taxation of Pope Nicholas in 1291 at
fifteen marks. It was situated about 120 feet within the East wall of the
City, and beside it was the College of Christ Church, long since removed. The
Church-yard and adjacent ground was, till lately, within a few inches of the
surface, a marsh, and before the year 1S30 the vaults were filled with water
at the rise of every tide. When the present School-houses were erected a
few years ago, a large and deep pit was discovered, in which was some cartloads
of human remains, mixed with the bones of horses, most probably
deposited there after the siege of Cork by the Duke of Marlborough,
SepL 28, 1690. If we except some fragments of old walls in the crypt, no
part of the ancient structure now remains. The present Church was built in
1717, and arranged internally with the present front and entrance added,
by an applotment on the parish, made 6th October, 1S27, for £3,500 6s.,
at a rate of 1s. rod. in the pound gross valuation.
This was formerly the burial-place of some of the chief citizens of Cork,
viz:Lombards, Tenys, Goulds, Creaughes, Sarsfields, Verdons, Whites,
Mathews, Pagans, Skiddys, Roches, Ronans. Some elaborately ornamented
tomb-stones of the last four families, of the 16th Century, until
lately could be seen here against the North wall of the cemetery; there are also others
in the crypt, but the place is so dark that identification is at present
impossible. One very remarkable stone, with a human skeleton in high
relief, rested very appropriately against the wall opposite the gate of the
burial-ground, as if to remind those that entered there, that our life was but
“a vapour,” or, as the inscription told us, “the heir of worms.” This was
the tomb of the worshipful man, Thomas Ronan, formerly Mayor of Cork,
who died 1554, and his wife, Johanna Teny’

This takes a little time to open …..

registerofparish00holy