Tags

,


One of the areas mentioned:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Upper+Sheskin,+Co.+Cork/@51.6705325,-9.4498062,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48450a5bd08f6365:0xeb41e39b8dd59c2!8m2!3d51.6705191!4d-9.4410297?hl=en

The presentments were list of works, ‘presented’, by land owners to the Grand Jury in the hope that financial assistance would be forthcoming to enable them to be carried out.  This is from the Cork Examiner of the 8th November 1846.  For Cheskin read Seskin.

It is not clear if the money was paid directly by the Grand Jury adn later reimbursed centrally.  Some later drainage schemes were financed from Dublin.

Samuel Hutchins, listed 1835 at Ballylickey, 1838.  1835 in Bantry paying £5 toward Catholic Rent, frequently praised as a Liberal Protestant. 1840 petition on Catholic Equality. Attending address Ardnagashel 1840 Great Meeting Bantry re Poor Law. Listed 1843, Ardnagashel, Bantry.   Estate passed to him on death of younger brother Emanuel in 1839,  Brother of botanic artist Ellen Hutchins.  1820 Member Cork Library. 1837 donated £5 to Justice (Catholic Repeal) Rent.  Set up a soup kitchen during Famine.  Extensive property throughout Co. Cork, sitting Bantry, and Castletown North Cork, 1835, Castletownbere 1839, Buttevant 1846 succeeded by his son Emanuel later by another son Samuel Newburgh.  1846 Grand Jury grant drainage 25 acres  Ardnagashel.

William O’Sullivan Esq., Carriganass Castle.

Gave evidence to 1844 Commission Law and practice in respect to the occupation of land in Ireland. Lease of Ahiel where he was born and in the family for 100 years from Lord Kenmare not renewed in 1840.  Has 500 to 600 acres employs a great number of men.

William O’Sullivan, Esq., Carriganass Castle, native Ahill.  Game Certificate 1802. Purchased Carriganass from David Mellifont, Donemark in 1817 for £250 and £50 rent previously had been tenant with Maurice Flynn. Hamilton White had left, in his will, cash sums to Richard Blair Esq., Galway (nephew from Blair’s Cove, Durrus), who had received various lands in lieu. By this deed Blair  assigned these lands to William O’Sullivan, Carriganass in 1822.  Has 500-600 acres from Kenmare Estate. Subscriber 1832 Bantry poor Relief. Decried by Assistant Magistrate for rapacious behaviour toward tenants ‘God help the tenants of the Country with Such landlords’. Enduring bad feeling with McCarthy Downing Skibbereen Solicitor.  Accused of being agent to Sir William Draper.  Son William called to the Bar 1844.  Signed Testimonial to Resident Magistrate, John Gore Jones, Bantry, 1844.  In 1848 seizing cattle at Scart, Bantry for alleged overdue rent to his father with Daniel, John and Cornelius Manning and Eugene and Stephen Sullivan he was imprisoned for 3 months and fined £20 for assault.  Son, William, Barrister,  made a Magistrate 1850 on recommendation of Earl of Bandon superceded after two days.  Prosecuted in Cork for criminal libel.   Daughter married Barrett who took over estate.  According to John Windle he contemplated the restoration of Carriganass Castle.  Brother Jeremiah in Brennymore, Kealkil his daughter married Portuguese Captain Jose Biaia later resident in Kealkil. 1854 large farm at Kilcrea with quarry to let apply William O’Sullivan of Daniel O’Sullivan, Church St., Cork.  Complained that in 1840 his lease of Ards (2 very large farms 3 miles inland) was not renewed by Lord Kenmare. This lease commence in 1756 between William Sullivan, an attorney who married the daughter of Rec. Schofield who had the lands.  The lives in a lease for three lives of Richard Cox, son of the Archbishop of Cashel, and Richard and George sons of Sir Richard Cox of Dunmanway at a rent of £52.  Grandson  QUILL, Albert William, in occupation pre 1908

John Warren Payne, Bantry, Agent Lord Bantry.  Member provisional Committee projected Bandon to Bantry Railway 1845.  Member election committee McCarthy Downing, Skibbereen, 1868.

Robert Hedges Eyre White, Glengariff Castle.  Attended Great Meeting in Bantry 1840 re Poor Laws.  Grand Jury grant for drainage of 140 acres at Boultenagh.

Richard (White) -1851), 1st Earl of Bantry, Bantry House (bought 1730 from Hutchinsons as Blackrock House) Pre 1831, 1822, Created Baron White for his part in alerting British of French landing at Bantry Bay 1797, 1801 advance to Viscount Berehaven 1816 created 1st Earl of Bantry.  1799 married Margaret Hare, daughter of William Hare, Earls of Listowel (they had been Cork provision merchants). Subscriber 1821 Dr Thomas Wood’s ‘Primitive Inhabitants of Ireland.  1822 seeking support from Lord Lieutenant for Bridewell and market House in Bantry.  Notified as Magistrate of Catholic Meeting on Loyalty to King 1825.  Correspondence with Chief Secretary promoting road Bantry to Skibbereen, sitting Bantry, 1835, listed 1838, Quarter Sessions, Bantry 1842.  Receiver appointed to Estate rents 1837 on a charge of £46,150.  Member provisional Committee projected Bandon to Bantry Railway 1845.