• Ahagouna (Irish: Ath Gamhna, meaning ‘Ford of the calves’). In Clashadoo town land.
• Ardogeena (152 acres) (Irish: Ard na Gaoine, meaning ‘Height of the flint stones’). On the east side is Lisdromaloghera (Irish: Lios Drom Luachra, meaning ‘Fort of the rushy ridge’)
• Ballycomane (1349 acres) (Irish: Baile an Chumain, meaning ‘town of the little valley’). Part of it is Ballinwillin with a boulder burial,with the remains of a millrace which may have been used by monks at the nearby church of Mouliward, ringfort and standing stone pair. Mass rock in Vincent Hurley’s farm. Former graveyard in Sam Attridge’s lands no remains. The oldest family are probably the Hurleys (Vincents), they moved from Ballnacarriga outside Dunmanway and Darby Hurley who held Ballycomane Middle was evicted by Lord Carbery when a rent payment was missed, the farm was then given to the Vickerys c 1770 Mountain ‘Sligeroct’ Little island on Four Mile Water 3 miles east of Durrus known as Gairdin na Mullagh after a priest’s curse.
Ballycomane is mentioned in a fiant of 1577 and a deed of 1594 where Walter Coppinger of Cork acquired various lands including a half ploughland formerly owned by Donghe McComucke McCarthy of Cloghane attained of high treason.
• Boolteenagh (148 acres) (Irish: Buailtinach, meaning ‘summer pasture’). The high land at the south is called Knockboolteenagh (cnoc buailtineach) hill of the little boolies. Site of a possible souterrain, at the north side is a ringfort.
• Brahalish (784 acres) (Irish: Breach Lios, meaning ‘spotted fort’) or Braichlis (place of malt or fermented grain). Mentioned in a fiant of 1577. On the west side is Brahalish Fort and the east Cummer Fort. In 1659 census written Bracklisse. Burial ground for children, horizontal mill stone with a rindbar near the farmhouse of David Shannon on the eastern side, ringforts. There is an oral tradition that there may have been a monastery at the area of this burial ground. Location of Brahalish gold fibula (clasp) currently in the British Museum. There are a series of walkways dating from at least the 19thcentury from the shore to the upper lands where people used to take baskets of seaweed to fertilize their small holdings.
• Carrigboy (116 acres) (Irish: Carraig Buidhe, meaning ‘yellow rock’). Location of Durrus village. The high road from here is built over land known as Carrig Cannon. Near the former farmyard of Denis Jl O’Sullivan now housing the remains of a souterain partly demolished during house building between the upper and lower road to Bantry.
• Curraghavaddra (195 acres) (Irish: Currach an Mhadra, meaning ‘the bog of the dog’). On the west side is a ringfort.
• Clonee (409 acres) (Irish: Cluain Fhia, meaning ‘meadow of the deer’ or ‘Aodh’s meadow’). In the cente is Clonee ringfort. Off the road near Jimmy Swantons is a disused quarry used in providing stone for tarring the Durrus/Bantry Road last worked in the hot summer of 1940.
• Clashadoo (749 acres) (Irish: Claise Dubha, meaning ‘dark hollows’). Burial ground last burial 1930s. To the north on high boggy ground is Coolnaheorna or Coornaheorna (this appears in the 1740 deed to Francis Bernard as a half ploughland) covering the former farms of Kellys and Sullivans leading to the ‘Cumar’, and beyond to Loch na Fola (lake of the blood). This may have been far more extensive in former times as the stream feeding it may have been diverted; the stream (Moire or in Irish Maighre) on the western end has a deep hole formerly known as Poul Nora Poll Nora (Nora’s hole). Between Rossmore and Mannion’s Island at half tide a rock ‘Carrig Coolnaheorna’ is visible; this marked the spot where people from Upper Clashadoo were entitled to take seaweed to fertilize their smallholdings. On the road to Coomkeen, at the eastern end is a graveyard used for unbaptised infants probably the site of Dun Clashadoo marked on the Ordnance Survey map. The ordnance survey map of 1842 shows ‘Cappanamanna’ on high ground to the west of the old rectory, it appears as ‘ a half ploughland at Cappamonagh’ in the 1740 deed to Francis Bernard and perhaps it may have some old connection with monks.
• Coolcoulaghta (1148 acres) (Irish: Cul Cabhlachta, meaning ‘remote place of the ruins’ or ‘cul cuallachta’ Nook of the tribe or assemblage. In the upper part is an area formerly called Cumha na acrai and the hill on top is Peakeen or Mount Corrin. Location of boulder burial, burial ground at cilleen for unbaptised infants. Coolcoulaghta Church contains 1847 famine victims, cairn, coastal promontory fort, fulachta fiadh, ringfort, standing stone, a standing stone pair. Sub townland Gaulan after two ogham staones.
• Coomkeen (915 acres) (Irish: Cum Caoin, meaning ‘gentle valley’). Mass rock on the lands of Timmy Whelehan deceased known as Tober an tSagairt, on the south side is Screathan na Muice (stoney slope of the pig) this is given as the address of one of the Dukelows in the 19thcentury, c 1850, marriage register of St.James’s church., to the north is Crock a wadra. On the flat bog before the turn for Clashadoo are clay pits on the right used for road making. The Coomkeen farmers had rights to sea wool between what is now the pier and the sand quay used to fertilize their holdings.
• Crottees (490 acres) (Irish: Cruiteanna, meaning ‘humpy ridges’), location of large stone associated with Dukelow family
• Dromreagh (842 acres) (Irish: Drom Riabhach, meaning ‘striped/grey ridge’). Mentioned in the Calendar Patent Rolls of 1620. On the north side is Coill Breach (wolf wood). Possible souterrain, standing stone.
• Dromatiniheen (97 acres) (Irish: Drom a’tSionnaichin, meaning ‘ridge of the little fox’). Ringfort on the south side.
• Dromreague (92 acres) (Irish: Drom Reidh, meaning ‘even ridge’)
• Dunmanus (Irish: Dun Manus, meaning ‘fort of Manus’)
• Durrus (Irish: Dubh Ros, meaning ‘dark wooded promontory’)
• Gearhameen (646 acres) (Irish: Gaortha min, meaning ‘small wooded glen’). On the east side is Coolnalong Castle seat of the McCarthy Muclaghs later the property of Lord Bandon. On the Clashadoo side is Fahies (na Faithi) containing a disused quarry operated by the Spillane family used to provide stone for the Catholic church.
• Gurteen (127 acres) (Irish: Goirtin, meaning ‘small field’)
• Kealties (614 acres) (Irish: Caolta, meaning ‘narrow strip of land/or marshes marshy streams’). Mentioned in the Calendar Patent Rolls of 1616. On the south side is Ros na Bruighne (headland of strife), written Glinkelty (Gleann Caolta) on 17th century map of Petty. Standing stone and possible ringforts. The high ground was known as Caolagh.
• Kiloveenoge (Irish: Cill Ui Mhionoig, meaning ‘Minogue’s church’, or Cill Oighe Mhineogmeaning ‘church of the virgin Mineog’). Mentioned in the Calendar Patent Rolls of 1616. Child burial ground, on the east side is a former Protestant Church built 1860, the west side is the site of an old church and burial grounds. Some distance from where Mike Hegarty’s sop was located is a grave of sailors who were shipwrecked, marked with thorn bushes, possibly from c 1850.
• Lissareemig (78 acres) (Irish: Lios a’Riamaigh, meaning ‘fort of victory’). Ringfort in centre.
• Mannions Island, used c 1900 by the Philips family for horses.
• Moulivarde (Irish: Meall an Bhaird, meaning ‘the bard’s knoll’), site of old Durrus Church and graveyard.
• Mullagh (173 acres) (Irish: Mullagh, meaning ‘summit’). Possible souterrain on the west side is Lissavully Fort (lios a’Mhullaigh) fort of the summit.
• Murreagh (199 acres) (Irish: Muirioch, meaning ‘seaside marsh’). Location of disused grain store also used as a refuge for children in 1847. Disused slate quarry south end also standing stone.
• Parkana (Irish: Pairceanna, meaning ‘fields’)
• Rooska West (298 acres) East (295 acres) (Irish: Riasca, meaning ‘marshes’). Mentioned in the Calendar Patent Rolls of 1612. Disused lead mines on western side ringforts in West and East. On Ordnance Survey Name Books reference to a burial place for small pox victims then (1840s) disused.
• Rossmore (310 acres) (Irish: Ros Mor, meaning ‘large copse or large promontory’). Location of Rossmore Castle in ruins former O’Mahony tower house and location of former slate quarry. In the field west of Attridges off the road there is believed to be a famine graveyard as told to Nancy Dukelow by her father Tom. This may be in fact the graveyard marked ‘cillin’ on the ordnance survey map to the east of Attridges in Jimmy Hegarty’s yard which David Shannon of Rossmore says may also have been the site of an old church or a pre workhouse refuge for destitute people.
• Rusheenasiska (84 acres) (Irish: Ruisin an Uisce, meaning ‘little copse of the water’)
• Teadagh ( 107 acres) (Irish: Taodach, meaning ‘rugged land’ or Teideach, meaning ‘flat topped hill’)
• Tullig (Irish: Tullach, meaning ‘mound’), location of O’Donovan houses at the Cove and Fort Lodge.
Teresa Breathnach said:
I am trying to locate a townland called ‘Estnabriina’ (various spellings), in the parish of Muintirvara. Has anybody heard of it? Very appreciative of any help!
Pingback: Townlands of Kealkil (An Chaol Choill Narrow Wood), West Cork and some others West Cork. | West Cork History
Reblogged this on dannytobin.
Reblogged this on West Cork History.