Some of the papers of the great scholar Dr. John O’Donovan (  are in the Royal Irish Academy (Graves Collection). In these he is satisfied that the Wexford Donovans/O’Donovan who he described as ‘Rabid Orangemen” are part of the O’Donovan of Carbery. It is not known how they got to Wexford.

Robert Donovan, Linen Draper, Bride St., Dublin, brother?

Richard Donovan, in one of the memorials he is in, there is a Driscoll, Wexford mentioned you would wonder if from Carbery:


The Phairs mentioned her have West Cork connections:

Subscribers Dr. Daniel Donovan, History of Carbery 1876.

Subscription lists often yield hidden connections either or extended families by placing people’s original birthplace.

John Glasscott, Dublin Castle, (2 copies), mother Wexford Donovan, a Protestant sept of the O’Donovans originating in Carbery described by Dr. John O’Donovan as ‘rabid Orangemen”.  1659 census a Glascott listed for Bandon.

Anne Beata (Glascott) O’Donnavan

Birth: 19 May 1832, at 17 Leeson Street, Dublin, county Dublin, Ireland

Father: John Glascott

Mother: Mary (Donovan) Glascott

Married: William John (Donovan) O’Donnavan on 10 October 1872, in New Ross district, county Wexford, Ireland

William was Anne’s first cousin. He was born on 9 June 1832, the son of William Donovan and Elizabeth Dallas. William Donovan, of Tomnalosset, was the son of Richard Donovan and Anne Richards, and the brother of Anne’s mother, Mary (Donovan) Glascott. William was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, graduating B.A. in 1855, LL.B in 1859 (both in the name William John Donovan) and LL.D. in 1860 in the name William John O’Donnavan. He was a Member of the Royal Irish Academy, elected on 8 May 1865 (Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy vol 9 p224)and the Royal Dublin Society, elected in 1874 (Kerry cattle herd book p48). William’s name change from his father’s Donovan was deliberate, and presumably occurred between 1859, when William was awarded the degree of LL.B. in the name of Donovan and 1860 when he graduated LL.D. in the name O’Donnavan.

The Topographical Poems of John O’Dubhagain and Giolla-na-naomh O’Huidhrin p40 (A. Thom, 1862):

Morgan William O’Donovan, Esq., of Montpelier, in the county of Cork, has not only re-assumed the O’, which his ancestors had rejected for many generations, but has styled himself “the O’Donovan,” chief of his name, being the next of kin to the last acknowledged head of that family, the late General Richard O’Donovan, of Bawnlahan, whose family became extinct in the year 1841. His example in resuming the O’ has been followed by Timothy O’Donovan, Esq., of O’Donovan’s Cove, in the county of Cork, head of a very ancient sept of the same family, and by William John O’Donnavan, a junior member of the Wexford Clan-Donovan. 

Teach an Bhaile Mhóir aka Ballymore House (built 1721) was erected by Richard Donovan (1697-1763) whose estate has since enjoyed long-standing connections with the Donovan family including: Richard Donovan (1752-1816); Richard Donovan (1781-1849) ‘of Ballymore’ (cf. 15612001); Richard Donovan (1819-84) ‘late of Ballymore Camolin County Wexford’ (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1885, 217); Richard Donovan JP DL (1858-1916), ‘Gentleman late of Ballymore County Wexford’ (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1916, 172); Richard Charlie Donovan (1898-1952); and Richard Alexander Donovan (1927-2005). The house was “Improved” in 1740 and damage during the1798 Irish Rebellion (and repaired in 1815). Adjacent outbuildings (extant 1839) included a mill showing an enclosed waterwheel; a wedge-shaped walled garden (extant 1839); At the time of the 1911 Census the house continued to be Donovan occupied. Burned in an accidental fire in 1955, they removed to a nearby cottage until the house was restored in 1956.