At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, David Cagney was leasing this property to Isaac Notter, when it was valued at £11. Lewis noted Crookhaven House as the seat of R. Doe, in 1837. This property does not appear on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s.
Rock Island House
At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, Thomas Notter held this property in fee when it was valued at £16 10s. In 1837 Lewis recorded it as the seat of J. Notter. Leet refers to Rock-Island as the residence of Henry Alleyn in 1814. It is still extant.
It is believed that the Notter family of German Protestant Rhineland origin arrived in the general Crookhaven area in the early 17th century.
Until the great road from Skibbereen to Crookhavan was built by Sir Richard In the 1820s Crookhaven was only connected to the rest of Irealand by a rough packhorse trail. In Irish aít iarghualta. However, since the early 17th century it was on one of the world busiest shipping routes.
That part of the Mizen Peninsula was from around 1600 under the de facto control of Richard Boyle, the Great Earl of Cork, the Hulls of Lemcon Castle Schull and their local allies the Coughlans of Carrigmanus who turned Protestant after falling out with their overlords the O’Mahonys.
Interestingly in the early 19th century there were various property transactions for the area around Crookhavn between the Notters and Lord Riversdale and the Tonsons who are part of the extended Hull family of Schull.
Notteer Landed Estates, p. 2
Notter Magistrates. P. 5
TCD entry, p.6
Marriage Licence Bonds, marriages, p. 6, 13
Births, p.8, 14
Deaths, p. 11
Census 1901/1911, p.19
Probates, p. 21
Kings Inns Entry, p.30
Newspaper entries, p.30 largely to 104
Encumbered Estates Sale, p. 36
Marine Salvage, p.35, 43, 52, 68
Registry of Deeds, memorials, p. 104
Chief secretary papers, p. 109
Lewis 1837, p. 111
Crookhaven lighthouse, p. 112
Colonel James Lane, Notter, p.112