1839. Assignment of Interest in Three Ploughlands Hutchinson Estate, Durrus, to William O’Sullivan, Esq., Carriganass Castle, Kealkil.
The Estate was sold in the Landed Estates Court in 1854 probably bought by William O’Sullivan, Esq., later his son in law John Barrett is owner. He was conservative lining up with the Lord Bantry/White family their agents the Paynes and various branches of the O’Sullivans off Beara. He came i for praise from Father Kearney Parish Priest of Durrus around 1892. Father keanrey sasi weh a young curate house were largely mud huts on the Hutchinson land. Father Kearney said that due to Mr. Barrett’s efforts they had been replaced by slated houses. Barrett was regularly slated by the Nationalist faction for evictions etc.
William O’Sullivan Esq., Carriganass Castle.
Gave evidence to 1844 Commission Law and practice in respect to the occupation of land in Ireland. Witnesses at Bantry (Rev Christopher Freeman Curate, Richard White Esq. Landlord, Michael Murphy Miller Middleman Donemark, William Neale, Rev. Somers Payne, Land Agent, John O’Connell Esq., Rev. Thomas Barry Parish Priest, Samuel Hutchins Esq. Landlord, Alexander Donovan, Patrick Tobin Farmer Gortavallig Kilcrohane, Timothy Connor, Cornelius Connor, Cornelius Henry Donovan, into Her Majesty’s Commissioners into The Law and Practice of Occupation of Land in Ireland. Lease of Ahiel where he was born and in the family for 100 years from Lord Kenmare not renewed in 1840. Has 500 to 600 acres employs a great number of men. William O’Sullivan, Esq., Carriganass Castle, native Ahill. Game Certificate 1802. 1804 Extract from deed: Partial assignment by Eugene Sullivan, Ballhadown, Caheragh to William Sullivan, Gent., Ahill, (Later Carriganass Castle), of 6 Gneeves of North Sheehy, among lives Daniel Roycroft, aged 7 son of Richard Roycroft, Rooska. Purchased Carriganass from David Mellifont, Donemark in 1817 for £250 and £50 rent previously had been tenant with Maurice Flynn. Hamilton White had left, in his will, cash sums to Richard Blair Esq., Galway (nephew from Blairs Cove, Durrus), who had received various lands in lieu. By this deed Blair assigned these lands to William O’Sullivan, Carriganass in 1822. 1825 took assignment from Godwin Young, hatter Cork (from Bantry) of debt owing 1807, judgement, by Simon White, Glengarriff Castle. Has 500-600 acres from Kenmare Estate. Subscriber 1832 Bantry poor Relief. Decried by Assistant Magistrate for rapacious behaviour toward tenants ‘God help the tenants of the Country with Such landlords’. Enduring bad feeling with McCarthy Downing Skibbereen Solicitor. Accused of being agent to Sir William Draper. Son William Junior probably TCD admissions 1834, aged 16 educated Dr. Hamblin, Cork, William called to the Bar 1844. Signed Testimonial to Resident Magistrate, John Gore Jones, Bantry, 1844. Witness in 1844 Jagoe V Hungerford referred to counsel as moneylender. 1839 acquired an interest in Hutchinson Estate The Estate was sold in the Landed Estates Court in 1854 probably bought by William O’Sullivan, Esq., later his son in law John Barrett is owner. He was conservative lining up with the Lord Bantry/White family, their agents the Paynes and various branches of the O’Sullivans off Beara. He (Barrett) came in for praise from Father Kearney, Parish Priest of Durrus around 1892. Father kearney sasi weh a young curate house were largely mud huts on the Hutchinson land. Father Kearney said that due to Mr. Barrett’s efforts they had been replaced by slated houses. Barrett was regularly slated by the Nationalist faction for evictions etc. . In 1848 seizing cattle at Scart, Bantry for alleged overdue rent to his father with Daniel, John and Cornelius Manning and Eugene and Stephen Sullivan he was imprisoned for 3 months and fined £20 for assault. Son, William, Barrister, made a Magistrate 1850 on recommendation of Earl of Bandon superseded after two days. Prosecuted in Cork for criminal libel. Daughter married Barrett who took over the estate. According to John Windle he contemplated the restoration of Carriganass Castle. Brother Jeremiah in Brennymore, Kealkil his daughter married Portuguese Captain Jose Biaia later resident in Kealkil. 1854 large farm at Kilcrea with quarry to let apply William O’Sullivan or Daniel O’Sullivan, Church St., Cork. Complained that in 1840 his lease of Ards (2 very large farms 3 miles inland) was not renewed by Lord Kenmare. This lease commences in 1756 between William Sullivan, an attorney who married the daughter of Rev. Schofield who had the lands. The lives in a lease for three lives of Richard Cox, son of the Archbishop of Cashel, and Richard and George sons of Sir Richard Cox of Dunmanway at a rent of £52. Grandson QUILL, Albert William, in occupation pre 1908. He has dealings with Eugene O’Sullivan, of Ballaghadown Caheragh, a Protestant, Church Warden, Drimoleague and who sells an interest in Caha lands rented from Shouldham Estate. There may be a relationship as William O’Sullivan acquired part of Hutchinson’s lands at Durrus it is likely that Hugh Hutchinson who died young 1804 wife Margaret O’Sullivan was a sister of Eugene O’Sullivan. Rev. Somers Payne, Upton, Innishannon. Gave evidence to 1844 Commission Law and practice in res