1843, Meetings for Protestant Orphan Society held by Reverend Edward Spring (Agressive Proselytiser) at Bandon, Clonakilty, Rosscarbery, Castletownsend, Glandore, Skibbereen, Ballydehob, Schull, Castletownbere, Dunmnway, Ballineen, Sermons at Durrus, Bantry. At Bandon Meeting Lord Bandon Sentiment ‘Deserved to be Recorded, Their Estates had Been Conferred by God upon the Protestant Proprietors of This Kingdom in Trust for The Advancement of His Cause
The Rev. Spring was part of a band of agresive proselytisers including the Rev. Crosthwaite of Durrus, Fishe of Teampall na mBocht (Altar), Charles Doonovan, Ballydehob and others. Most were Irish speaking.
Like the Chinese Rice Christiasn when condition improved most of their flock reverted to theri original faith.
The local Protestant Gentry probably regarded their coming as a visitation of the plague with the consequential heightening of community tensions. An exception was Lord Bandon and his wife substantial donors to various Protestant fundementil societies.
The local Protestant Gentry in the late 18th and early 19th century especially in the more remote areas and on the smaller estate were probaby at least partially bilngual.
Google Books have made available the reports of the Coast and Island Society for the period 1854-1861
The Society was a Protestant Evangelical organisation dedicated to outlining the ‘errors’ of ‘Romanism’ and seeking converts through missionary work and the education of the young.
It operated a mission station of Cape Clear the remains of which are still present. This was headed by the Rev. Daniel Spring also the Professor of Irish at Trinity College Dublin. There is reference to a publication by him of a journey in the South in 1840. His brother the Rev. Edward Spring also ministered there.
Edward James Alcock 1805-1842, son of Rev. Mason Alcock. May have lived at Sea Lodge, built old rectory (Glebe House) in 1831. 1822 involved in famine relief with Father Quinn. He sat on a committee in Bantry in 1824 to petition against the withdrawal of the bounty on linen production as had been agreed in the Act of Union. Magistrate. Involved in prosylesytisong. His proctors, 1833, attempted to seize Father Quin’s bed while mass was being said in is house to secure tithe payment only the intervention of Protestant neighbours stopped it. Most of the tithes were the property of Nathaniel Evanson so it may be he who sent the proctors otherwise all outstanding tithes collected in one day.
William Moore Crosthwaite 1842-1854. He was fluent in Irish which was remarked upon at the time as making his suitable for the parish. His family said that his death was brought on by a fever contacted in the famine when he was doing relief work. In London in 1847 seeking to raise funds for relief and wrote to London Times. He attended the opening of the new Church of Ireland Church on Cape Clear in October 1849 when the Vicar, the Rev. Edward Spring preached in Irish. The itinerant preacher Rev. Daniel Foley, accompanied by Rev. Fisher of Altar and Toormore, visited his parish in early 1849. He had a Curate, paid for by the Irish Society in London. It is probable that he was involved as a minor figure in the ‘Second Reformation’ being associated with controversial figures in West Cork and Kerry, Seamus Ó Suilleabháin, the Irish poet employed in the area as a scripture teacher was associated with the Rev Joseph Baylee who ministered in the Rev Nagle’s mission in Achill and later in Liverpool.
Curate Bell, 5th February 1851, paid for by Irish Society London, had a church for a period in Kilcrohane, withdrawn 1853
View of Tempol na mBocht, (The Church of the Poor, Crookhaven), Mizen Peninsula, West Cork, with Parsonage and Sandboat in Foreground on Pamphlet from Rev. William Fisher 1851, setting out History of St. Brendan’s Church, Built 1714, by Bishop Brown, original Protestants gone over as Romanists their descendant ‘Bitter Romanists’ until lately few Protestants left on ‘Protestant Hill’, Plea for Funds, list of Subscribers.
Right Honourable Honourable James 2nd Earl of Bandon, Custos Rotorum, (1785-1856), Castlebernard, FRANCIS (1st EARL of BANDON) and HARRIET (Boyle) had James (heir and 2nd Earl born 14th June 1785 in Bandon and died 31st October 1856 at Castle Bernard) m 13th March, 1809 in Cashel Mary Susan Brodrick eldest daughter of Charles, Archbishop of Cashel and sister of Charles, 6th Viscount Midleton. Mary was born 9th October 1787 and died 23rd April 1870, buried in Bandon. Due to rising war related prices land rents estimated 1811 at £30,000. Succeeded to title and estate after his father’s death in 1830. Following a large Protestant meeting 1834 at Castlebenard nominated to prepare a petition to the British King and Parliament with the Rev. Somers Payne, Councillor Mannix, Lords Berehaven and Bandon. Subscriber Lewis Richard Dowden papers: 1837. 1842 Subscriber Jacksons Co. and City Directory. 1844 Printed handbill/notice , ‘Cork Art Union for the promotion of the fine arts in the South of Ireland’, annual subscription appeal. President is Lord Viscount Bernard MP (Lord Bandon). Printed by W Scraggs, 102 Patricks Street. (1p) Subscriber John Ryan, 1845 ’20 Years of Popish Persecution’. Made huge efforts during the Famine to secure relief. Co. Grand Master Orange Order. Fellow Royal Society 1845. Member Commission on Magistrates 1838 subscriber, 2 copies, 1861 to Smith’s History of Cork. Bandon 1869.
Great stuff, Pat, that I haven’t come across elsewhere. Excellent research! I’d love to see that pamphlet by William Fisher but can’t seem to get to it from your links.