1840, Commissioners appointed in Clonakilty to Sweep and Clean Town.
Patrick O’Hea Doctor, Barrack St. One of 550 attending banquet in Cork for Daniel O’Connell. 1850 proposed Courtmacsherry be used for new workhouse. Dead by 1867 when son Thomas Aloysius, wife Mary, qualified as attorney winning Gold Medal. Post Office Directory 1842. Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier 10 June 1845. 1846 Town Commissioner. 1844 O’Connell Tribute. “1862 Thomas Aloysius O’Hea Kings Inns 1862 Father Patrick M.D., mother Mary
Francis Bennett Attorney, 1842 Shannon Square Sovereign St. Appointed Cleaning Commissioner for Clonakilty 1840. Son of Francis Bennett decd at 1827
Thomas Deasy in the Nation 24 Nov 1849. I think that Thomas was a cousin of Rickard Deasy.
The Desys part of a powerful political network in West Cork who transformed politics from the early 19th century. They included the O’Donovan family of Catholic Landlords and Magistrates in Durrus. Many of the extended families trace their descent from Alexander O’Donovan who died in Squince, Skibbereen.
Rickard Deasy, Superseded 1822, Clonakilty, Brewing family. Deasy, Rickart, Esq., of Clonakilty, to Miss Cotter, at Millstreet – (CMC 8/9/1802). Father Collins, PP Bantry evidence to Parliamentary Enquiry that he had £2,000 per annum when half pay Protestant Officers on £40 per annum were preferred for Quarter Assizes Juries in Bantry. 1828 seeking reform of House of Commons. Reinstatement supported by Dr John Richard Elmore, Clonakilty. 1822 local fishery committee. 1822 with Dr. Elmore and John Molony seeking Chief Secretary; support for harbour works for poor relief at Ring. Attending dinner Devonshire Arms Hotel for Daniel O’Connell 1839 listed as J.P.. Chairman of meeting of Independent Liberal Electors thanking electoral personnel for Impartiality in 1835 elections. The Reformers of the West Riding of Cork to Daniel O’Connell MP to Dinner in Bandon, Co Cork, with 200 Liberals in attendance including, Francis Bernard Beamish MP (1802-1868), Rickard Deasy (1766-1852) Brewer Clonakilty, James Clugston Allman Distiller Bandon, James Redmond Barry J.P., Commissioner for Fisheries, Edward O’Brien, Masonic Lodge Bandon, John Hurley Brewer, Major E. Broderick, Henry Owen Beecher Townsend (1775-1847), Major Mathew Scott J.P. (1779-1844), Philip Harding, Carrigafooka, Macroom, Richard Dowden (1794-1861) Unitarian, Frances Coppinger Esq., Parkview, Bandon.
Timothy Deasy The Elder (c 1739-), 1793, Barr’s Hall, Timoleague, 1793, Son Timothy and Ann Donovan m Honoria O’Donovan d Cornelius 1759. Shown 1788 as owner of Pookeen townland, Parish of Drimoleague, adjoining lands Carbery Estate map of Sir John Freke, Bart. Listed supporter of Act of Union, 1799 Son Morgan Deasy Doctor of Physic joint owner of brewery concern with brother Richard his executor Dr. James Donovan MD Barry Hall. First Catholics to be J.P.s since the Treaty of Limerick. Family fortune reputed to be based on smuggling. Daughter Ann married Dr. James Donovan son of Alexander of Squince head of the Clann Lochlann branch second in seniority to the Clann Cathal Sept. Founded brewery in 1807 at Shannon Square, Clonakilty. Superseded 1810-30. Author unpublished memoir re atrocities in Clonakilty in 1798. Son Timothy the Younger 1792 party of pre marriage deed with Anna Maria Barry of Leamara, Tim Deasy, the younger of London and Barry’s Hall, witness Charles McCarthy, Gortnascreena. Related to O’Donovans of Squince, Skibbereen, O’Donovans, O’Donovan’s Cove, Durrus