Old Durrus Photos.
Thanks to John McCarthy, Durrus
If the shadows are telegraph poles after 1875. Village built c 1855 by Lord Bandon. It replaced a collection of miserable mud cabins. Nte traditional West Cork Cloak worn by woman in centre. The pub 1st right was owned at the time by a member of Gilhooley family a relative of MP for West Cork
Probably just after 1901 note no graves yet, looks like building timbers. Man in coach possibly Lord Bandon. St. James Church History refers to Lord bandon around that time and his coach
Church of the Sacred Heart was built in 1901. The design was widely praised and a number of churches in the area have a similar design including that at KIlcoe. This was built on a site of one acre by way of lease to Fr. O’Leary from the Earl of Bandon for 990 years, at a rent of 10 shillings per annum lease dated November, 1898. The first sod was cut by Dan Keohane and John Sullivan, Clonee. The contractor was Daniel O’Donovan, Bantry. The stone was provided from a quarry at Fahies, Clashadoo owned by the Shannon family and operated by the Spillane family and drawn to the site by Patrick Crowley of Ahagouna, Paul Shannon, Clashadoo and Hurleys Ballycomane. In the course of drawing stone one of the carts was wrecked and a replacement was provided gratis by Bob Dukelow, Coomkeen.The cost of the church was £2,900 and the Architect was Maurice Alphonsus Hennessy from the South Mall, Cork. The pews were made by Laurence Lehane. It Is believed that the project caused financial difficulties for the contractor. The church is being refurbished 2017 at a cost of €100,000. ..
2nd from left Eddie Hurst (Beach House, Bantry, progressive farmer) married Shannon, Clashadoo she had Coughlan ancestry. Father of Bantry historian Hazel Vickery. Boy Shawn Dillon, Clashadoo. his ancestors contractors 1835 to Cork Grand Jury. He inherited substantial property from Bantry aunts. Active Clann na Poblachta 1947 Bantry. Family have a large tomb Moulivard Graveyard.
Thomas Dillon referred to is buried in a large tomb in Moulivard, Durrus East. He is of the Clashadoo family. His wife nee Roycroft died 1892 and her obituary listed an enormous funeral a veritable ‘who’s who’ of West Cork. The Vickeries of Ballycomane have a long history of involvement in local affairs as 1820s local cess payers. The Tobins likewise of Kilcrohane were politically active.
Tall man back row with hat: In the late 1930 and 1940s Tom Deane (former Dublin Metropolitan Policeman). So tall DMP made a special bicycle for him.
Pig Fair c 1940s
When the marts started, especially Bandon (1957) and Skibbereen (started by Cork Co-Operative Marts in 1958) it sounded the death knell of the fair for cattle. Durrus Fair used to be held near creamery. It was revived in 1937 having lapsed for 20 years previously, and was held on the third Monday of every month. The market at Ballydehob was also attended.
1950s, two petrol pumps Barrys later son in law Cronins to the west Chrissie Leahy nee O’Sullivan family had mills behind since c 1805. ESB only came post 1959.
This apparently was a postcard. The area to the immediate left was a cattle loading area. The lower road to Ballycomane was where the truck would be parked to load cattle. ON the right hand side2nd from left wa the former Carraigbui Petty Session Court, held on the first floor, a collapse in c 1880s left many injured.
Barrys premises 1st left pub and shop, he was a returned Yank from west of Dunbecon.
Dinny JOhn L O’Sullivans pub 1st right. he was from Kilcrohan, worked in Dreenolmane barytes Mines, then USA, another returned Yank. Married one of Shannon sisters of Brahalish.
Not in photo Wisemans shop, built back after USA fashion as Mrs Wiseman nee Daly, Kilcrohane after her years in USA reckoned the car needed to be accommodated.