1798, Report by Lieutenant Colonel O’Reilly on Attacks on Westmeath Militia, Marching from Bandon to Clonakilty by Pikemen of whom 130 Killed by by Caithness Legion at Ballinascarthy.
Timothy Deasy of the Clonakilty Brewing, land owning and Merchant family was a magistrate. He kept a diary detailing the Atrocities in the local area during 1798. He decided not to publish as he did not want to inflame local tensions.
Timothy Deasy The Elder (c 1739-), 1793, Barr’s Hall, Timoleague, 1793, Son Timothy and Ann Donovan m Honoria O’Donovan d Cornelius 1759. Listed supporter of Act of Union, 1799 Son Morgan Deasy Doctor of Physic joint owner of brewery concern with brother Richard his executor Dr. James Donovan MD Barry Hall. First Catholics to be J.P.s since the Treaty of Limerick. Family fortune reputed to be based on smuggling. Daughter Ann married Dr. James Donovan son of Alexander of Squince head of the Clann Lochlann branch second in seniority to the Clann Cathal sept. Founded brewery in 1807 at Shannon Square, Clonakilty. Superseded 1810-30. Author unpublished memoir re atrocities in Clonakilty in 1798.