1844, Petty Session Courts with James Little, Resident Magistrate (RM), and Local Magistrates Listed, Bantry, Carrigboy (Durrus), Castletownbere, Clonakilty, Dunmanway, Goleen, Remineen (Beara/Glengarriff), West Division, West Cork.
B 1844 a series of reforms had resulted in the establishment of the Petty Session Courts, presided over by a Resident Magistrate. he did not have to be legally qualified many were former British Army Officers. He was assisted by at least two local Magistrates or Justices of the Peace and the hearing were conducted in Courthouses.
Formerly the local Magistrates held court often in their own houses giving a perception of the partial administration of justice.
In tis listing the only Church of Ireland clergymen shown are the Rev Alleyn Evanson of Durrus Court, Gearhameen, Durrus. At this stage he was an ‘beneficed clergyman’ not practising but a land agent and middleman. The Rev. Richard Wright, of Skibbereen was also a land agent.
Earlier there would have been very significant presence of ministers representing the then State Church.