1843. Mail and Day Coach Timetable and Fares from Cork to Bandon, Clonakilty, Bantry, Enniskeane, Macroom, Skibbereen. Sample Coach Leaves Bantry 8.15 am, Cork 3.15 pm Fare 14 shillings Inside, 10 shillings Outside.
In 1800 the area 30 miles around Cork had a well developed infrastructure, piped water in the City, comparatively good roads and bridges, harbours. In the West and North it would approximate to what is now known as 3rd world. This was improves so by 1843 a reasonably good system of roads operated combination of the Grand Jury and Central Government intervention such as the arterial road schemes of Sir Richard Griffith and Alexander Nimmo had a dramatic effect.
Arterial coach services wee provided by Bianconi local services connected town with Cork.
The timetable below is just prior to the railway age.
By 1900 Cork had one of the most advanced rail systems in Northern Europe a mix of broad and narrow gauge. All that remains is the main line from Cork to Dublin, Cobh, Tralee via Mallow.
When the telegraph opened in Dunmanway around 1860 a newspaper report have an account of a speech of an old man. He recalled towards the end of the 18th century his mother rode to Dunmanway through bridle paths with two small children on panniers on the horse. Then rough carts with timber wheels came in followed in the early 19th century by the ‘Scotch’ cart with car wheels and an iron band. Wheeled carts were unknown in the Goleen area until the opening in the late 1820s of Richard Griffith’s road from Skibbereen to Crookhaven.
The road from Cork to Bantry in its present form was built between 1810-11. The Cork based John Anderson, a Scotsman, had the contract for the mails and persuaded the Cork Grand Jury to provide funding for the Cork Bantry road. The Irish Mail service dates from 1790.
In 1843 the coach left Bantry at 8.15 am and arrived in Cork at 3.15 there were inside and outside fares. Before the extension of the railway from Drimoleague to Bantry, a coach service was provided from Bandon to Bantry, and the travel time by train and coach from Cork to Bantry was approximately 6½ hours. In the early 19th century, the Drummond commission reported that Bantry was linked by a daily Dunmanway Coach which carried an average of 3 passengers. The Cork and Bandon Company agreed with the Post Office to provide a conveyance for the mails from Cork to Bantry in May 1857, the Bantry mail service being given to Mr. Thomas Marmion of Skibbereen. A complaint was made in July 1864 of the late arrival of the Bantry Mail Car. Apparently the driver had fallen asleep on the car between Drimoleague and Bantry, having been plied with drink by a passenger. The Mail Inspector sought the removal of the driver, and an instruction was issued that he was not to be employed on mail cars.
The Prince of Wales (later Edward 7 1901-1910) arrived in Bantry by coach from Bandon to meet the Royal Yacht in Bantry and from there to Glengarriff and Killarney. This route had been pioneered by Thomas Vickery of Bantry.