John Randal Carey (1834-1923), 1879 Member of Syndicate Founders of Sydney Daily Telegraph, Grandson of Daniel McCarthy (Mucklagh), Former Parish Priest of Durrus, West Cork and Sarah Blair of Blair’s Cove, Great Grandfather Allegedly Claimed to be head of McCarthy Family worldwide.

The Mccarthy Estates were forfeited due to Rebellion and the Durrus element former part of the Evanson later Lard Bandon estate.


The branch Mucklgh from Irish Muc pig after their herds of pigs) are referred to in the Dublin penny JOurnal:


In 1835 the Dublin Penny Journal carried an article and illustration of Culnalong Castle and referred to the last of the Mucklaghs…’their descendants struggled on for no inconsiderable part of a century in the doubtful class entitled’ decayed gentry’  I well remember the last of them who lingered in this neighbourhood (Durrus).  He was a patriarchal-looking man, with snow white hair.  He inhabited a cottage near Dunbeacon.  He was as finely formed and athletic a fellow as I ever saw.  The peasants regarded him with no small feelings of respect and affection, to which his excellent qualities appeared to entitle him well.  He died at the age of 90 in the year – let me see 1795, I think, and he possessed to the very last the buoyancy of spirits and the warmth of affection that more properly belong to youth.  Poor fellow! He sometimes indulged in a sigh at the fallen fortunes of his house but it was not a sigh of bitterness.  This article was probably written by Cork Antiquarian John Windele and the comment and poem in the article by his friend Father John Ryan of Drimoleague.

Daniel McCarthy family and Blairs:…..

Courtesy Nigel Moss.

Reverend Daniel McCarthy marriage Licence Bond was dated 26 July 1793 and the marriage took place in Cork & Ross around that time.  The bond totalled £1,000; a sizable amount of money and one wonders how he could provide that sum.

According to Samuel Trant McCarthy’s The McCarthys of Munster, Daniel “was six feet four inches in height and of a distinguished appearance. He is said to have been a severe disciplinarian, in regard to his four sons at least. He used to make them walk through the cemetery in the dark, and take them out in a boat in stormy weather, so that they might develop the same courage which he himself possessed.”

It was Daniel’s daughter, Margaret, who married Major John Westropp Carey, who lived in Glenlough Cottage (Durrus)  on the northside. Carey had fought, with distinction, in the Peninsular Wars in the 10th & 30th Regiments, as had his brothers. They married on 10 November 1822 at St Nicholas Church, Cork City. Major Carey was the son of William Carey JP of Lodge, Cork and his wife, Jane, nee Westropp (daughter of Randall Westropp Mayor & Alderman of Cork & his wife Peniel, nee Becher, Granddaughter of Colonel Thomas Becher. Major John Westropp Carey & his wife, Margaret, nee McCarthy were the parents of Rev William John Carey TCD, BA ( Daniel’s Grandson) who I believe was the first Rector of Glengariff, where he was appointed Rector of Trinity Church,Glengarriff in 1872, and died there in December 1906. Their 2nd son,  John Randall Carey born in 1834, emigrated to New South Wales and was Founder of the Sydney Telegraph Newspaper.…..

John Randal Carey (1834-1923), businessman and newspaper proprietor, was born on 14 April 1834 at Cork, Ireland, son of John Westropp Carey, of the Connaught Rangers, and his wife Margaret, née McCarthy. Educated at Hamblin’s College, Cork, he worked for a merchant before leaving for the Australian goldfields. He reached Victoria in the Countess of Yarborough in December 1853 and tried his luck on the diggings before setting up as a general agent and auctioneer as partner in Richards & Carey at Castlemaine. An excellent horseman, he rode his own steeplechasers and later owned Mazeppa, a champion trotter. About 1862 he followed the goldseekers to New Zealand and joined Arthur William Gilles as general agents, auctioneers and importers of stock from the Australian colonies; they soon established branches at Invercargill, Hokitika and Auckland. From April 1869 Carey was captain of the Auckland Troop of the Royal Cavalry Volunteers; he probably fought in the Maori wars.

On 14 June 1873 at St John’s College, Auckland, he married Mary Taylor; that year he and Gilles moved their business to Sydney. With experience of auctioneering and shipping, Carey recognized that transport and land development were inextricably linked. In 1875 he acquired the Manly run which had five boats operating a freight, passenger and towing service across the harbour; he continued as managing director and a major shareholder in the Port Jackson Steamboat Co. in 1877, remaining a director of the reconstituted Port Jackson Steamship Co. Ltd and, on its absorption of a competitor, of the Port Jackson Co-operative Steamship Co. Ltd in 1896-1904. In 1877 he visited England to oversee construction of ferries. He also helped to form the Balmain Steam Ferry Co. Ltd in 1882 and, as a partner in Mann, Carey & Co., extended his activities to railway construction, tendering successfully for the Nyngan to Bourke line. With less success he set up the Sydney Tramway & Omnibus Co. Ltd which was in liquidation in 1899.

In 1879 he was one of a syndicate which started the Daily Telegraph, a four-page penny newspaper. With Watkin Wynne as manager, and Carey as chairman of the company from 1884, it succeeded: other newspapers were forced to drop their prices. In 1890 its editorial staff Frederick Ward, L. J. Brient and Henry Gullett resigned when a direction on editorial policy restricted them from commenting on Carey’s other business enterprises. The paper featured sensational news and in 1894 introduced linotype machines against opposition from printers. He remained chairman and the controlling influence of the paper until February 1921.

In 1899 the Daily Telegraph campaigned to send troops to help Britain in the South African War and sponsored an insurance fund for Australian volunteers. Carey believed the Australian outback produced the right type of man for South Africa: in 1900, as chairman of a Citizens’ Bushmen’s Committee, he organized the recruitment of the Bushmen’s Contingent and the purchase of horses. A major in the reserve of officers from January 1900 to December 1904, he rode at the head of the contingent when it paraded through Sydney.

Carey was also a trustee of the Savings Bank of New South Wales, a member of the Rocks Resumption Advisory Board, and a director from 1899 and chairman in 1906-23 of Royal North Shore Hospital. His business enterprises and membership of the Athenaeum Club had brought him into close association with leading politicians and he used his connexions to obtain additional land for the hospital. His wife presided over its fund-raising committee and his daughter Beatrice was for some years its masseuse.

Survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters, Carey died at his residence at Milson’s Point on 9 June 1923. After the funeral his body was taken by special ferry to be buried in the Anglican section of South Head cemetery. His estate was valued for probate at £79,052.