Extract From Lost 1851 Census, Williamson Family, Droumatinaheen, Durrus, West Cork and Sullivans of Clonee who claim descent from O’Sullivan Bere., Vickery/Sullivan Marriage.

Droumatinaheen is where the new GAA pitch is being provided.  It is possible that the Williamsons and the Shannons, Johnsons came to Durrus from Armagh c 1740s in connection with the weaving, lines, wool enterprises.  The recently made available civil records online show a preponderance of thes  name sin that registration district.  Within the family is is believed that the Williamson of Rossmore and Brahalish originated inn Droumatinaheen.

The Clonee Sullivans descent from the marriage in the 1780s of Michael Sullivan, Hearth Tax Collector adn property holder under the Whites of Bantry a Catholic and Mary  Vickery of Whiddy Island.  Their children were brought up in the Church of Ireland, there are an enormous family worldwide descending.  Michael was reputed to be a direct descendant of O’Sullivan Bere.

Church of Ireland Search Forms for Old Age Pensions, from Durrus, West Cork  Parish Register and Extracts from Census of 1840s 1850s 1860s all Lost in Destruction of Public Records Office, Dublin, 1922.

These search forms are mainly to test claims of applicants for the Old Age Pension. Since civil registration was only introduced in Ireland in 1864, those applying for an old age pension in the early years after its introduction in 1909 had to rely on parish records. Since many births, marriages or deaths ended up not being recorded in the parish registers, confirmation of the applicant’s age would then be looked for in the 19th Century censuses.

Since so many Irish records were destroyed in the Public Records Office fire of 1922 these search forms provide an invaluable record of some of those lost records. Searches were generally requested on behalf of the applicant by whoever was certifying their claim, often a local vicar or Justice of the Peace. Many later forms have the address of solicitors or professional genealogists and may have been filled out as part of a probate claim after the named applicant’s death.

The forms were filled out by staff at the Public Records Office as they searched the various sources. You can often see their notes as they found other family members and for this reason the search forms can be a pot of gold if you are researching your Church of Ireland ancestors. Very often the whole family will be listed with dates of birth and the address. Sometimes you will see the letters NF written on the form, even if there are names and dates filled in. This means that the applicant was not found, even if members of their family were.

For the first 10 years the old age pension was set at 5 shillings a week for a single person and 7 for a married couple. It was later raised to 10 shillings. The figure was deliberately kept low to encourage people to save for their retirement but at a time when a labourer’s wage was only 10 shillings a week it was still a useful sum.

George T. Levis, 1902-1924, a native of Union Hall, BA Trinity 1892, ordained 1893, he married Sarah May Connolly daughter of Rev Quarry Connolly in Macroom in September 1902.  He was an athlete and cross country running champion, and brother of the GP Dr Levis.  He died in 1945 in retirement in Coachford.  His father was a popular landlord and one brother, F J was a solicitor in Cork and Thomas an auctioneer in Bandon.  Retired as Canon Levis.  1902. May 28. GEORGE THOMAS LEVIS, R. Durrus and Kilcrohane, per mortem Pratt. Instituted, loth June, by the Lord Bishop, in Durrus Church. George Thomas Levis, b. at Myross Cottage, Union Hall, Co. Cork, 17th May, 1866, fifth son of George S. Levis, of Kilbrogan Place, Bandon, by his wife, Martha, dau. of the late John Wood, of Famivane House, Bandon, and grandson of the late Samuel Levis! of Glenview House, Skibbereen, Co. Cork. Educated privately. Entered T.C.D. 1889, B.A., June, 1892 j Div. Test., June, 1893. Ordained Deacon, December, 1892, and Priest, December, 1893, both at Cork. Curate of Macroom, 1892 to 1902. He married, on 3rd September, 1902, Sara May, younger dau. of the Rev. John Quarry Connolly, M.A., Rector of Macroom. Assisted Public Records Office pre 1922 in pension queries from church Registers.

Durrus History:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Zd1e3qFvD2-lzpNWupF_gBwCkJQbvey1yFAXuCxmys/edit

Durrus Church of Ireland, Methodist Births:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n7dtPLbsdWbCn0ZJL0Vg8bPeJ9h9PdMN_pcJDu5Nagk/edit#gid=0

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 20.32.04

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 20.32.15Williamsons:

 

Sullivans:

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 20.32.42

 

 

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 20.33.09

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 22.04.14