1742, Kenmare Estate in Bantry Area, collection of Rents by James Galwey of Cork and Depositing them In Hoares and Development of 18th century Cork Banking.
The Kenmare Estate Records are available free online in the Irish Manuscript Commission digital section of out of print books.
The Hoare reference alluded to the large Merchant firm in the woolen and provisioning trade. A practice developed of the Cork Merchant using the large cash deposits to lending. Examples such as the Pikes. This was later to havdisasterous consequences for Munster in the 1830 by the failure of such banks (not Pikes the firm had exited the business) all undercapitalised such as Leslies and Roches.
The Kenmare Estate was was one of few remaining in Catholic hands during the Penal Laws but its operation were similar to other large estates. It is one of the few where detailed estate record shave survived for at least part of the period. There there are a large number of very significant Catholic Middlemen. The estate was primarily in Co. Kerry but extended into the Bantry/Kealkil/Glengariff district.
The Galweys feature prominently and in the mid 19th century still were the agents of the estate but from Killarney. There a number of references to the agent James Galwey collecting rents from Gilbert Mellifont of Donemark (that estate was bought by William O’Sullivan of Carriganass Castle in 1817 on insolvency of Mellifonts), and Michael Murphy of Newtown (the family were put of out their Kenmare lease in 1840 despite having spent over £2,000 on the mills without compensation then having been tenants for 200 years)