St James Parish, Durrus West Cork from 1863 to 1903.
From Coles History which takes up from Maziere Brady:
DURRUS AND KILCROHANE. (With Dunbeacon and Drishane.) [CORK. [Durrus means “a dark wood ” (or “promontory”). Kilcrohane, perhaps, “the Church of the Hut, ” or “Hovel,” meaning a very small church?] These parishes were united from time immemorial. 1852. August 18. JAMES FREKE, A.B., V. Durrus and Kilcrooane (Brady). Freke became R. V. Murragh in 1866. 1866. JOHN PRATT~ M.A., V. Durrus and Kilcrohane, vice Freke. The church population is about 430. There are two churches-the parish church, picturesquely situated at the head of Dunmanus Bay, and a small church at the north side of the parish, at Rooska, on the south side of Bantry Bay. This latter-was built in 1866. Durrus parish church was enlarged by the addition of a side aisle in 1867, at a cost of £600, and a chancel built as a gift by the Countess of Bandon. Divine Service is held in the parish church twice on Sundays and chief festivals; and on alternate Sundays at Rooska in s UIllIille.r. There is a capital sum 0’£ £1,000, the interest of which goes towards the assessment, which is £134, stipend of Rector, £250 • The present Incumbent receives a “good service” pension. He contributes £40 a year to the curate’s salary. There are three parochial schools, viz., Glebe School, N. B.; Rooska, N.B.; and Mollough, eh. Ed. Socy. Among the parochial organizations are-Branches of Young Women’s Christian Association, and Temperance Society, and a Weekly Men’s Bible Class; and there are services and meetings for C. M. S., S. P. G., Jews’ Society, Prot. Orph. Socy., Ch. Ed. Socy., Hospitals, Dio. Board of Ed’l Island and Coast Socy., etc. There is an excellent Glebe House, prettily situated close to the church,. in 47 acres of glebe land. Rent and taxes amounting to about £74 a year. John Pratt, b. at Churchtown, Midleton, 22nd Oct., 1812, son of the Revd. Roht. Pratt, A.B., P. Desertmore (Brady), and grandson of the Revd. James Pratt, A.M. , P. Kilnaglory, and R. V. Athnowen (Brady), and great-grandson of Robt. Pratt, Portre1ve of Castlemartyr. (For this family, vide ” Burke’s Landed Gentry.”) CORK·1 DURRUS AND KILCROHANE-FANLOBBUS. 49 T.CD., B.A., 1835 j M.A. 18e6. Ordained Deacon, 1840, at Killaloe, and Priest 1841, at Limerick. Curate of Kinneigh, 1840-46 j of Kilbrogan, Bandon, 1846-56 j R. Killowen, 1856-58 j R. Kilnagross, Ross. 1858-66 j Precentor of Cork, 1855, and Rural Dean of Gleansanley
He married, in 1841, Charlotte Louisa dau. of Michael Murphy, of Newtown, Bantry, brother of Revd. John Murphy, A.B., Treasurer of Cork, and R. Mogeesha, Cloyne (q. v.); and secondly, Eva, dau. of Francis Cole of Blair’s Cove, Co. Cork. Her brother, the Revd. John Francis Cole, is the present Rector of Portarlington. Curate (ordained in 1898), John Whitley, B.A. He became Curate of Kinsale in 1902. Precentor Pratt died on 29th April, 1902, aged 90 years, and was buried in Durrus churchyard. He was very popular, and a memorial 0’£ him is being erected in Durrus Church. 1902. May 28. GEORGE THOMAS LEVIS, R. Durrus and Kilcrohane, per mortem Pratt. Instituted, loth June, by the Lord Bishop, in Durrus Church. George Thomas Levis, b. at Myross Cottage, Union HaU, Co. Cork, 17th May, 1866, fifth son of George S. Levis, of Kilbrogan Place, Bandon, by his wife, Martha, dau. of the late John Wood, of Famivane House, Bandon, and grandson of the late Samuel Levis! of Glenview House, Skibbereen, Co. Cork. Educated privately. Entered T.C.D. 1889 j B.A., June, 1892 j Div. Test., June, 1893. Ordained Deacon, December, 1892, and Priest, December, 1893, both at Cork. Curate of Macroom, 1892 to 1902. H e married, on 3rd September, 1902, Sara May, younger dau. of the Rev. John Quarry Conolly, M.A., Rector of Macroom. FANLOBBUS. [That is “Lobbus’ (or Lupus’) Slope.”]