Schools in Bantry/Skibbereen/Schull area West Cork 19th century School Boycott, Dromore (Bantry) 1880s Remarkable as a consequence of the Catholic Church dispute with the British Government that for 30 years (c1845-75)children were taught by untrained teachers
In the early 19th century there was an extensive network of informal or hedge schools in the area. A Parliamentary enquiry of 1823 lists these.
An idea of what informal schools might be like is described in the Diary of Humprey O”Sullivan (Amhlaóibh Ó Suilleabáin) published in 1820. In the 1790, he and his father left the Killarney area to set up a hedge school in South Kilkenny. The locals built a sod house in three days for the school. He later left teaching and became a prosperous merchant.
The Church of Ireland schools had funding from the Church Education Society. Their records are in the Representative Church Body Library in Rathgar in Dublin…
View original post 592 more words