West Cork History

Title of Francis Bernard the Elder and Francis Bernard Junior, Castlemahon, Bandon to Six Ploughlans at Coolenlong otherwise Four Mile Water (Durrus) and the Townlands of Kealties and Tullagh, Muintervara, West Cork

In historical terms these wee McCarthy Muclagh lands. They had the Castle at Gearhameen, formerly Scart on the Bantry Cork road. They lost all after 1641 and Colonel Reid was granted the lands, a Cromwelian. The Evansons also Cromwelians were in Castledonovan and around 1690 bought Colonel Reid’s interest. They got into financial difficulty around 1710 and the Bernards (Later the family wee ennobled as Lord Bandon) acquired their interest. Some years later Nathaniel Evanson of Culnalong and his brother-in-law Jeremy (married Susanna Evanson, Jeremiah) Coughlan (originally Carrigmanus) Attorney and Agent with Andrew Crotty to The Devonshire Estate in Lismore rented ploughlans from the Bernards. It is likely that one of the extended Coughlan family wee settled onto…

View original post 28 more words