https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Durrus,+Co.+Cork/@51.6497011,-9.4265841,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48459fe7ccd270df:0x231e3744ac95441a

Meeting Carrigbui Schoolhouse, Durrus, West Cork, November 1849 to Consider Harbour Developments and Lights In Attendance; Lord Viscount Bernard, M.P., Chaired in the chair with the following gentlemen: The Honourable Henry Boyle, Castlebernard (Bandon), Timothy O’Donovan Esq, J.P. O’Donovan, Cove, Daniel O’Donovan Esq MD, Reverend Alleyn Evanson JP Four Mile Water Court, Richard O’Donovan JP, J. Somerville Esq JP, Reverend W. M. Crosthwaite Minister, Durrus, Reverend C. Evanson, George Boward Esq, R. O’Donovan Esq, R.J. Evanson Esq, Thomas Gloss Esq, Lieutenant Royal Navy, J. Swanton Esq, the Messrs Power, General Collins Esq, Reverend Richard Quinn, Parish Priest, O’Callaghan Esq, J.H. Townsend Esq, John Staunton, Reverend E. Bell, Kilcrohane, W.E. Wright Esq and Mrs. Fitzgerald, Reverend Charles O’Donovan Minister Schull etc. etc.

The Evansons were Landlords, The Rev. Alleyn of Durrus Court held by way of lease from the Bandon Estate which expired c 1850 and in Kilcrohane from other Lessors.

Richard Evanosn was in Ardogena held land in fee from a deed of circa 1740 from the Tonsons/Riversdales the estate was to go before the Landed Estates Court in the 1850s.

Timothy O’Donovan and his brother Richard (he of Fort Lodge, Tullig) held under a long lease again from the Tonsons/Riversdales from around 1770. There may be a family connection through the Protestant O’Donovans and their kinsmen the Beechers of Skibbereen. Their brother was Doctor O’Donovan MD, Norton Cottage, Skibbereen, he also had estates in Caheragh and father of famous famine doctor Doctor O’Donovan of Skibbereen, who died aged around 32.

Father Quin was a native of Tiperary and was a moderniser and builder of churches and schools.

THIS IS FROM THE DUBLIN WEEKLY REGISTER, 17TH NOVEMBER, 1849

Meeting at Carrigbui on Thursday, the 8th November, 1849.

One of the most important and interesting things that have been held in the western part of the County of Cork for many years was held at Carrigbui Schoolhouse on the shore of Dunmanus Bay, to consider the capability of the harbour and to obtain additional lights along the coast.

Meeting Carrigbui Schoolhouse, Durrus, West Cork, November 1849 to Consider Harbour Developments and Lights In Attendance; Lord Viscount Bernard, M.P., Chaired in the chair with the following gentlemen: The Honourable Henry Boyle, Castlebernard (Bandon), Timothy O’Donovan Esq, J.P. O’Donovan, Cove, Daniel O’Donovan Esq MD, Reverend Alleyn Evanson JP Four Mile Water Court, Richard O’Donovan JP, J. Somerville Esq JP, Reverend W. M. Crosthwaite, Durrus, Reverend C. Evanson, George Boward Esq, R. O’Donovan Esq, R.J. Evanson Esq, Thomas Gloss Esq, Lieutenant Royal Navy, J. Swanton Esq, the Messrs Power, General Collins Esq, Reverend Richard Quinn, B.P. O’Callaghan Esq, J.H. Townsend Esq, John Staunton, Reverend E. Bell, Kilcrohane, W.E. Wright Esq and Mrs. Fitzgerald, Reverend Charles O’Donovan etc. etc.