Opening of Drinagh Co-Op Creamery, 1933, Durrus by Father Crowley, Drinagh assisted by Canon McManaway
Father Crowley was the founder of the Drinagh Creamery group and Sligoman, Canon McManaway, was the driver behind getting the Durrus Branch opened. Canon McManaway was an inspiring figure, he had the first Church of Ireland school, in the Free State, St. James built at Ahagouuna. He was also involved in having the mountain road from Coomkeen to Bantry built as a relief measure in the 1930s.
There were various private creameries in West Cork in the 19th century and an early Co-Op was set up in Bandon in 1903. The English Co-ops dipped their toes into Irish waters but withdrew with the advent of the troubles. The Drinagh Co-Op was set up by Canon Crowley who was a man of considerable talent. During a strike in Cork which stopped the export of pigs…
View original post 859 more words