Sand Boat Landing Sand from Carbery Island, Dunmanus Bay, West Cork and Threshing Machines.
Before the advent of chemical fertilisers in the late 1950s the poor soils of West Cork benefited from sea coral and beach sand rom ares such as Barley Cove which added lime to the soil. In the early 20th century the Arundel family of Ahakista operated a large sand boat. The sand was dredged from a large bank in shallow waters off Carbery Island with a crew of 3-4. Typically 14-15 horse cart loads would be landed. The sand was landed at the Sea Lodge Pier.
Sand was landed at the Abbey in Bantry up to about 1960.
Jack Attridge, Gearhameen, Durrus, West Cork, c 1920-50 with Skeleton of his Boat on Dunmanus Bay and Home Made Threshing Machine.
Courtesy St. James History.
The boat was built with timbers felled from around the Grain Store at Friendly Cove across the bay. They were then floated across the bay to the Priest’s Gate, Gearhameen. The boat was probably a sand boat. The winch was installed but not the engine so it never went into service but would be representative of that type of craft.
Among the threshing machines in the Bantry area was one operated by Peter O’Neill (Peter Neal), he was also a cattle dealer of Ballycomane. It was jointly owned by Jacky Cronin a local businessman but Peter worked it with his crew who included Eugene Crowley, Ahagouna, Jack Connolly, Gearhameenn, Bernie Kelly Ballycomane, later Sonny Hosford, Kealties. Like the Whellys of Mealagh the machine went to Waterford when the local threshing was done. The machine ended up rusting in Pete’s yard after the combine harvester came in.