1845 appeal to Enlarge the Churches of Schull, West Cork, to Accommodate ‘Upwards of Two Thousand Protestants of The Humblest Class’, with a Listing of Subscribers.
Of those listed most of the lay people are Land Owners, the Notters in Crookhaven, the Swantons in Ballydehob although many of the family were Methodist. There were at the time two Alexander O’Driscolls both Middle men in the general area one Catholic one Protestant. The Earl of Bandon listed had some small estates in the area including Dereenlomane where the barytes mines were. Dr. Sweetnam listed is probably of the land owning family and agents in the Caheragh area. Connell is not to be confused with O’Connell (relations of the Liberator were land owners in the general area) it is probably a variation of the Huguenot ‘Quesnel’.
Pingback: Families of Huguenot Extraction, Durrus/Mizen Districts, West Cork, Camier, Connell, Dukelow, Lavers/Levis, Madras, Peer/Pier | West Cork History