West Cork History

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Dromreagh,+Co.+Cork/@51.6143084,-9.5034165,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48459fbf5aa6407b:0x2600c7a7bb4c0162

The Duke of Devonshire commenced an action in 1854 in the Encumbered Estates Court to confirm that lands to be disposed of by Nathaniel Evanson did not include minerals.

The land was originally sold by the Duke’s predecessor on title, Edward Boyle and his wife Mary by way of lease for 500 years from the 21st May 1626.  The property including 3 ploughlands at Drumreagh, Dromelower and Ardgenane in Durrus including Murreagh was acquired by the Earl of Burlington and Cork and Sir William Heathcote who disposed of it to Richard Tonson in 1738 included as part of the Manorial rights to the Lord of the Manor of  Ballydehob including the Durrus lands.  In 1765 the Durrus lands were demised to Richard Tonson Evanson and renewed by Lord Baron Riversdale to Nathaniel Evanson in 1811,

The Duke succeeded in his claim.  The papers are in the National Library, Lismore…

View original post 5 more words