March 1863, Charles Thomas has chartered Schooner from Drogheda ‘Monkey’ Captain David Carroll to take 130 tons of Sulphate of Barytes from The Earl of Bandon’s Mine at Derrynalomane from Ballydehob to Liverpool.
In time the developed mine would the, if not, then one of the largest in the world. A specially constructed jetty in Dunmanus Bay was fed by an Aerial Ropeway. The mine closed in 1920 due to a combination of post World War 1 depression and the effect of the Troubles locally. In its prime around 1910 it employed over 150 men in well paid jobs. The school register of Carrigboy (Durrus) reflects this in the father’s occupations.