The 1602 Destruction of the Franciscan Abbey in Bantry by the O’Sullivans after its use by the English Garrison under Captain Thomas Flower. Grant of local lands by Elizabeth 1 to Richard Beacon not taken up as James 1 granted then to Valentine Browne 1620 later forming part of the Kenmare Estate.
The Abbey site is now the Bantry Cemetery.
It has been suggested that part of the stones from the ruined abbey were used to build Blackrock House by the Hutchinsons nearly this formed the basis of the present Bantry House. Some of thr stones may have come from the McCarthy Castle at Scart, about 2 miles away which was replaced around 1620 by the Durrus Castle.