Proposed Railway from Bantry to Crookhaven to be a Port of Call, 1866 Sale with Tenant listings of of Two Ploughlands and Two Gneeves at Dunmanus, Mizen, West Cork, in occupation by Alexander O’Driscoll, Esq. prior to 1814 conveyed to William Swanton and Richard Long, by Lord Riversdale and others (subject to the right of all persons to use the water in the Well Holy? at Tobernasool), with lands Sparagrady, Gurteenalla, Derrenaclogh, formerly enjoyed by Thomas Attridge and his under tenants at Ballydehob, 1812 by Lease of 12th September 1768, to William Swanton, Ballydehob from Richard Tonson (part of extended Hull family of Leamcon, Schull) for three Lives renewed in 1840 for lives of William Swanton, William Swanton (last alive in 1866 aged 34) and William Justice and lands at Drimoleague, Meenies, and Conveyance of 1812 Lord Riversdale to William Swanton Lands (Levis?).
In relation to those mentioned possible relationships.
From the late 18th century most of the Swantons in the area were Methodist. One of the family became a Mining Captain and was working in Gortavallig Mines in Kilcrohane in the 1850s he married a Catholic and that branch of Catholic Swantons descend from him.
William Swanton descended from John Swanton and of Letterinlish, Skibbereen d 1717. Family may have originated in Scotland. There is a death of a William Swanton of Gortnagrough in 1798.
William Swanton’s sister Elizabeth b 1740 married John Wren from outside Ballineen.
John Wren, the Petitioner for the sale was of the Murragh, outside Bandon a descendant of Elizabeth Swanton b 1740 and John Wren, Murragh. William Wren was 56 in
Patience Swanton married Edward Elsmore Noble 1825, she is 68, he was chief coast guard officer from Wexford.
The Attridge referred to may have been of a minor land owning family in the Ballydehob area with a branch in Glasheen in Cork.
Alexander O’Driscoll Esq., probably a middle man, a number of O’Driscolls around Skibbereen and Caheragh early 19th century.
Mary Ann Fairclough, 63, was possible Swanton, perhaps the Reverend Edward Fairclough holding land in 1866 was a son he may have been a Methodist Minister.
There is a marriage between Richard Long and Catherine Swanton in 1786 and between a Richard Long and Alice Driscoll in 1776.
The Riverdales/Tonsons are descendants of Sir William Hull in Leamcon, Schull in 1600.
There are two Alexander O’Driscolls at the time Magistrates in the area and one in Cork so it is hard to know who is who.
Pingback: 1905 Valuer’s Report on Estate of Lord (Charles Pelham) Clinton, Crookhaven, West Cork 1905, Crookhaven formerly flourishing, Pilot Station, Fishing even the Isle of Man Fleet now gone, all now passed, Evidence of Want Of Circulation of Money, Coppe
Pingback: West Cork Graveyard Database | West Cork History
Pingback: Beecher Estate Improvement from 1841, Voluntary Surrender of 200 holdings , reallocations, new roads. | West Cork History
Reblogged this on West Cork History.