17th Century Cromwellian Confiscations in the Barony of Muskery, Co. Cork with some McCarthy Genealogies, Drawing on the work of Herbert Webb Gillman in the 1880s, 600 O’Learys at Iveleary (Inchigeela) holding 30 Ploughlands and their Cork Catholic Lantry/Lanktree descendants, the O’Mahonys holding 60 ploughlands at Kilmichael part Moviddy.
This is part of a series of articles which appeared in theJournal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society 1914
The O’Learys seem to have retained de facto control overs areas either as large ffarmers of Middlemen. The name appears frequently in 18th century Cork records as Doctors, Merchants and Landowners such as Kedagh of the Inchigeela area and the extended family of outlaw Art O’Leary. A Protestant branch seems to be living in Glasheen in Cork but still connected to the greater extended family.
This article is by W.F.Butler, M.A., 1915-17, courtesy JCHAS
In Caheragh Charles Lantry married Mary O’Leary c 1735 his father was Joshua original name probably Cromwellian Lanktree possibly one of two brothers who came to Bandon. The O’Leary family from the area between Drimoleague and Inchigeela were strong farmers and millers, there is a large tomb to the family in Drimoleague Catholic Church.
Among the beneficiaries of the Confiscations were the Hedges (Eyre) of Macroom through the later Hollow Blade Company and the Bernards of Bandon.